In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was first evident at a patriotic rally organised by government in support of the idea.
- The craze has swept the country, with patriotic motorists showing their support for the team.
- Then it became our patriotic duty to see such films, and some of them were good.
- For instance, on the home front, there is still an extraordinary absence of patriotic display.
- The fact that it eventually settled for patriotic loyalism could not be taken for granted.
- Behind her hangs an aptly patriotic map of the United Provinces of Holland.
- What was more we were at war and were fervently patriotic supporters of King and Country.
- For 40 years, he has worn his patriotic devotion to Scotland tattooed on his other arm.
- It was the wise and patriotic guidance of the old families which forged Scotland's cultural image.
- Many students seem patriotic, expecting their nation to stand for good in the world.
- It is a speech full of high-minded expressions of patriotic responsibility.
- They don't see that the fiercely patriotic Indian army is as brave and committed as any army.
- His reasons for embracing the Falklands were more pragmatic than patriotic.
- Intensely patriotic, that kind of recognition means a good deal to him.
- The whole apparatus of the state was geared to fighting a national and patriotic war.
- What you see is what he is: a passionate, patriotic American with a liking for straight talking.
- It was not an aggressive or threatening sentiment, but it was rationally patriotic.
- Flags and patriotic songs are antidotes to the depression that has descended on the nation.
- Her husband had no choice but to agree with that most patriotic of statements.
- I was and still am a very patriotic and loyal subject to the crown and to the services of this country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.