In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sponsor)patrocinador masculinepatrocinadora femininea patron of the arts — un mecenas
- What is needed is a patron who understands and supports the substance of the projects and the one-time opportunity they represent.
- The committee would like to thank their patrons without whose support the cost of publishing the annual magazine would be prohibitive.
- But the festival enjoys great support from some 20 local organisations, friends, patrons and the district council.
- He also thanked the press and all their patrons and sponsors, without whose financial support, the show would not go on.
- The organisers are deeply grateful for the support of patrons over the past months.
- The club is deeply grateful for the ongoing support of its patrons.
- The committee thanks their patrons for their support.
- Many thanks is extended to the loyal patrons who support the committee every week.
- Thanks to all the loyal patrons who have supported fund-raising ventures over the years.
- The club deeply appreciates the ongoing support of its patrons and the community.
- These achievements should be shared with our sponsors, patrons and supporters.
- What kinds of promotion do performance arts patrons appreciate most?
- The patrons chose whom to support and greatly influenced the products of that support.
- It was a solemn farewell to a great patron of the arts and a doughty supporter of Scottish causes.
- We would like to thank all our patrons for supporting us.
- Sincere thanks to the organising committee, patrons and friends who gave prizes.
- Support from patrons and parents would be greatly appreciated.
- Sincere thanks to the patrons who so generously supported the draw.
- This would not have been possible without the continued support of all our patrons.
- Happy New Year to all our patrons and supporters.
- They do not enter into the dinner conversations of restaurant patrons.
- Of course, restaurant patrons could go elsewhere, though they should not have to.
- Isn't it embarrassing to be in a restaurant where a patron is yelling at the waiter?
- He noticed the curious stares of the regular patrons of the inn.
- The aim was to make the area more attractive to business and more welcoming to regular patrons and visitors.
- These customers will most likely turn into regular patrons.
- The restaurant seats 155 patrons and employs a staff of 18 chefs.
- She returned the embrace gratefully, not caring about any of the other restaurant patrons.
- However, such an explanation does not account for the evidence that there were few patrons in the shop.
- Taking a discreet glance around, he saw the few other patrons of the restaurant heartily consuming their own lunch, so he tried to follow suit.
- He teams up with retail shops that refer patrons to the parties and he brings in winemakers to conduct the tastings.
- Are the fellow employees or regular patrons off limits to me?
- The waiting area has a fully licensed bar with a drinks lounge for up to 20 patrons and a restaurant area for 16.
- Police forced restaurant patrons to leave immediately.
- Someone called the local press, and the dining patrons emptied from the restaurant to watch the rescue attempt.
- Most of his customers are regular patrons, many of whom are foreigners.
- He glanced around the room and took notice of the other patrons in the shop.
- Their dinner was marked by loud hysterics, which earned them more than one unfriendly stare from the older patrons of the restaurant.
- Postal patrons also must complete customs forms and declarations pertaining to the contents of parcels being mailed.
- Half of the restaurant's patrons are also hotel guests, while the remainder come off the street.
2formal(customer)cliente masculineclienta feminine
3(patron saint)patrono masculinepatrona feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.