In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(decoration)diseño masculinedibujo masculinemasculine diseñomasculine estampadoa floral pattern — un motivo / diseño floral
- a geometric pattern — un dibujo geométrico
- the waves left ripple patterns in the sand — las olas dibujaron ondas en la arena
- the pattern repeats every two feet — el dibujo se repite cada dos pies
- Pipe some frosting in a decorative pattern on top of each and set aside.
- It can be rustic or traditional, with decorative tops, patterns, curves and arches adding to the fence design.
- A fairly normal vase, the kind one would buy at the market: blue with swirly patterns, depicting some pastoral scene in creamy colours.
- Symmetric and geometric designs are the most common features of Belarusan decorative patterns.
- The fabric is baby blue with a pattern of assorted donuts.
- She picked up a pair of scissors at the age of eight and started cutting traditional decorative patterns - common practice among country women.
- Clothing is made of cloth that repeats thousands of tiny patterns, with decorations such as silver hoops added.
- A long sword hung from his belt, which was covered with various decorative patterns.
- These aspects then become ornamented with Islamic-inspired decorative patterns and Islamic cultural artifacts.
- Decorative patterns, repetition, alternation and progression were reviewed at this point.
- One strategy he often employed was to create repeating patterns of interlocking figures.
- The motifs shared by the petroglyphic art include circles, cruciform shapes, star motifs and herringbone patterns.
- It featured exuberant decorative patterns, designs in the brickwork and wooden attachments.
- The two posts on each side are filled with decorative, abstract patterns.
- Support columns for the bridge will feature textured cast stone, with a cast concrete inset stamped with decorative patterns of prairie grasses.
- Blocks of colour work better than patterns and neat tailoring works better than layers.
- Included are geometrics, florals and foliates, animals and nature motifs and other decorative repeat patterns.
- Using a pastry brush, paint a decorative pattern on the inside of each cantaloupe with the green chocolate.
- Arabic inscriptions appear on most types of decorative patterns except those with representations of people.
- Bricks, slabs and decking can be laid in patterns for decorative effect.
1.2(order, arrangement)it follows the normal pattern — sigue las pautas normales
- to set the pattern — marcar las pautas
- patterns of consumption — hábitos de consumo
- behavior pattern — patrón conductual / de conducta
- languages with similar syntax patterns — idiomas con estructuras sintácticas similares
- a pattern is beginning to emerge — se están empezando a notar ciertas pautas regulares
- the familiar pattern of events repeated itself — volvió a repetirse la historia de siempre
- Using a T-shirt and an A-line skirt as guides, make paper patterns.
- Using your pattern, the cloth is then cut and trimmed, along with the finest linings and silks available.
2.2(in dressmaking)patrón masculinemolde masculine Southern Cone
1to pattern sth on sth
- the constitution was patterned on the American one — la constitución fue redactada tomando como modelo la de los Estados Unidos
- their legal system is patterned on the Napoleonic Code — su sistema legal está basado en el código napoleónico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.