In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(decoration)diseño masculinedibujo masculinemasculine diseñomasculine estampadoa floral pattern — un motivo / diseño floral
- a geometric pattern — un dibujo geométrico
- the waves left ripple patterns in the sand — las olas dibujaron ondas en la arena
- the pattern repeats every two feet — el dibujo se repite cada dos pies
- These aspects then become ornamented with Islamic-inspired decorative patterns and Islamic cultural artifacts.
- Blocks of colour work better than patterns and neat tailoring works better than layers.
- Pipe some frosting in a decorative pattern on top of each and set aside.
- Included are geometrics, florals and foliates, animals and nature motifs and other decorative repeat patterns.
- A long sword hung from his belt, which was covered with various decorative patterns.
- The fabric is baby blue with a pattern of assorted donuts.
- One strategy he often employed was to create repeating patterns of interlocking figures.
- Using a pastry brush, paint a decorative pattern on the inside of each cantaloupe with the green chocolate.
- Bricks, slabs and decking can be laid in patterns for decorative effect.
- The motifs shared by the petroglyphic art include circles, cruciform shapes, star motifs and herringbone patterns.
- Arabic inscriptions appear on most types of decorative patterns except those with representations of people.
- Symmetric and geometric designs are the most common features of Belarusan decorative patterns.
- She picked up a pair of scissors at the age of eight and started cutting traditional decorative patterns - common practice among country women.
- A fairly normal vase, the kind one would buy at the market: blue with swirly patterns, depicting some pastoral scene in creamy colours.
- Clothing is made of cloth that repeats thousands of tiny patterns, with decorations such as silver hoops added.
- It featured exuberant decorative patterns, designs in the brickwork and wooden attachments.
- It can be rustic or traditional, with decorative tops, patterns, curves and arches adding to the fence design.
- The two posts on each side are filled with decorative, abstract patterns.
- Decorative patterns, repetition, alternation and progression were reviewed at this point.
- Support columns for the bridge will feature textured cast stone, with a cast concrete inset stamped with decorative patterns of prairie grasses.
1.2(order, arrangement)it follows the normal pattern — sigue las pautas normales
- to set the pattern — marcar las pautas
- patterns of consumption — pautas de consumo
- behavior pattern — patrón conductual / de conducta
- languages with similar syntax patterns — idiomas con estructuras sintácticas similares
- a pattern is beginning to emerge — se están empezando a notar ciertas pautas regulares
- the familiar pattern of events repeated itself — volvió a repetirse la historia de siempre
- Using a T-shirt and an A-line skirt as guides, make paper patterns.
- Using your pattern, the cloth is then cut and trimmed, along with the finest linings and silks available.
2.2(in dressmaking)patrón masculinemolde masculine Southern Cone
1to pattern sth on sth
- the constitution was patterned on the American one — la constitución fue redactada tomando como modelo la de los Estados Unidos
- their legal system is patterned on the Napoleonic Code — su sistema legal está basado en el código napoleónico
- Staff members will pattern their leadership after those above them - not after what others say as much as what they do.
- In 1974 our uniform was patterned on the one that had been worn by the BC Provincial Police Force before it was taken over by the RCMP in the early 1950s.
- And if you would, who would you want to pattern yourself after?
- It is undoubtedly true that many of us are living in new houses that are patterned on interior designs a hundred or even two hundred years old.
- Her ambitions are patterned on images absorbed from old movies and gleaned from her favourite reading matter, celebrity autobiographies.
- Pets will pattern their moods after yours, so love what you are doing!
- I had patterned my own behavior after his, and when I began to identify some of those same qualities in myself, I knew I had to take action.
- Today it is not uncommon for some of the so-called replica firearms to be of better quality and performance than the originals they were patterned after.
- Plus, league bowlers pattern their styles after their favorite player.
- While polyphonic tones were better than monotones, they still sounded more like an old video game than the music they were patterned after.
- I have tried very hard to pattern my own life after the profound spirit of love and compassion for all things that I saw within this beautiful woman.
- Jews count the months by the moon; western civilization patterns its calendar after the sun.
- And man, he was something to watch, a college All-American whose style of ball I patterned my game after.
- Your car's headlights and spotlights are patterned after that design.
- Does that bother you at all, or do you try and pattern your style after a guy like him?
- That would be great, having a health care system patterned after the foster care system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.