In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pobreindigentepauper's grave — fosa común feminine
- At this rate the country will become a land of paupers pandering to third world countries.
- Directors of such banks prosper while depositors turn paupers.
- This means people will not belong to any of the classes or professions, but will simply be poor and helpless paupers.
- Why does one think that people become paupers overnight?
- The whole world was there - princes, kings, paupers, and priests - and an elation was felt that had never before been attained.
- The profession was given automatic rights to ‘unclaimed bodies’, usually those of paupers.
- He has pressed palms with presidents and paupers, gurus and lepers on his journeys across continents.
- However, I was as poor as a pauper with a broken carriage and no prince.
- Disease spread rapidly among the half starved and half clothed paupers.
- Starvation deaths are most endemic among these agrarian labourers and among the rural paupers.
- It almost feels like we're a bunch of paupers waiting outside a rich man's house.
- The hosts began the game like kings but ended up paupers.
- It was invaluable experience, but we were all absolute paupers.
- There are decent paupers just as there are decent princes.
- They would enter the room as millionaires and a few years later they would be paupers.
- Was your great grandfather a prince or a pauper?
- And the heat went out of the pursuit eventually, and when he died in 1762, although a pauper, he was no longer a fugitive.
- Not that my parents are paupers - they wouldn't want people to think they don't make a living - but they're comfortable.
- Children are taken out of education and become paupers.
- Unlike some of the ultra rich who will benefit from an illconceived scheme, some of the Irish players would be paupers by comparison.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.