In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pagaderopayable to the bearer/on demand — pagadero al portador/a la vista
- the rent becomes payable on the first of the month — el alquiler vence el primero de mes
- make the check payable to Acme Holdings — extienda el cheque a nombre de / a favor de Acme Holdings
- And the manager's fees are payable in advance, is that right?
- It is common ground that under the written agreement in draft and as executed, rent was payable, by implication of law, annually in arrear.
- As a general rule in English law, there is no need to give notice if a sum of money is payable on a particular day.
- The classes will cost E25 and this fee is payable on registration.
- No gift or inheritance tax is payable between spouses.
- Classes will be held for three months and sessions are €9 per child - fees are payable at the beginning of each month.
- In either case, an additional lump sum is also payable.
- If the claim is not accepted by the company's panel of solicitors, no fee is payable.
- A pension lump sum is payable to the estate, and therefore can be paid to a cohabitee named in the deceased's will.
- As a result, no annual membership renewal fees are payable.
- Before January 1 this year tax was payable annually on income and gains earned in the fund at the standard rate of income tax.
- Make your check payable to the charity, not the person taking up the collection.
- There is no tax relief on contributions but no tax is payable on receiving the lump sum.
- Interest payments are payable to the bondholders each year in March, June, September and December.
- If Gus closes or sells the business or subleases the space to another business, the loan is due and payable in full.
- My understanding is that all these taxes are payable when I sell the fund.
- The money was payable as a lump sum, quantified in advance, when it could not be foreseen what damages might have to be paid in the event of an accident.
- Also, would we have to file a tax return in France even if tax is not payable?
- As well as that, the advance premium is payable at the rate of 60%.
- Half of the contractual price was payable upon signing the sale contract, with the remainder due within the ensuing 20 days.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.