In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of debt, money, wage)pago masculinepayment for sth
- you can't expect payment for such a small amount of work — no puedes pretender que te paguen por tan poco trabajo
- she offered her necklace as / in payment for what she owed — ofreció el collar como / en pago por lo que debía
- he received no payment for what he did — no recibió remuneración por lo que hizo
- Before a driver is dispatched to assist a client, payment should be made first by credit card or cash.
- Many stores will accept payment by cheque or postal order.
- It is therefore important to review interest payments carefully before payment is made.
- It addresses the growing consumer desire to use electronic payment in place of cash.
- Additionally, you will miss out on early payment discounts, which lots of companies now offer.
- Each jurisdiction has its various clearing and settlement systems for payment.
- Cash in hand is the best method of payment available, which means that it produces the best reductions.
- Now imagine what kind of job you need to make that sort of monthly payment.
- Otherwise, you will make offers of payment you simply will not be able to afford or honour.
- They demanded the immediate payment of wage arrears outstanding for nearly a year.
- Despite reminders for payment in writing and by telephone you have failed to discharge this debt.
- The underlying problem is one about payment of fees, is it not?
- The strikers are demanding the payment of salary arrears, which have been building up for some time.
- The company is also completing a new site, which will enable online reservation and payment.
- The workers were demanding the payment of wage arrears and improved working conditions.
- The Ministry of Economy has appointed lawyers, who will settle payment of the fines.
- Your bank will honour the cheque when the holder presents it for payment.
- The first was a bill and the second was a demand for immediate payment in cash.
- Some also involve the payment of fees which can vary considerably depending on the scheme.
- The payment of interest on credit balances was its key differentiator in the SME market.
2(installment)plazo masculinecuota feminine Latin Americathe first payment is due on Monday — el primer plazo vence el lunes
- they only accept cash payments — solo aceptan pagos en efectivo
- I've made the first payment on the house — he pagado el primer plazo de la casa
- she made several payments into her account — hizo varios ingresos en su cuenta
- This is so, however large or small may be the amount of the payment.
- The more he answered the more questions he got and the more credit payments he received.
- Unfortunately we have not received any of the payments that are due to us at this moment in time.
- Surely there is a case for a reduced payment for those who receive an inferior service.
- However, he also wanted to use those savings to reduce his monthly mortgage interest payments.
- Those who wanted to be paid each month would receive their payments at the beginning of May as planned.
- By receiving these in shares rather than cash, they will be able to avoid paying tax on the bonus payments.
- In addition to this, you can often reduce the tax payable by making a payment towards the cost of your car yourself.
- Almost 950,000 people received a weekly social welfare payment.
- Every time the pictures are published, the charity will receive a payment.
- Shareholders will most likely receive the payment for their shares in early December.
- In addition this group will no longer have to pay tax on dividend payments.
- In addition, she is requesting a lump sum payment in lieu of spousal support.
- Of course, it's the insurance companies that have to pay out the compensation payments.
- Typically debt management companies will take your entire first monthly payment to them as an initial fee.
- Are you still having problems claiming the new tax credits, or have you now received your payments?
- Although I'm delighted to be receiving the payment, in many ways it all seems to have happened very quickly.
- However, daily interest would have continued to be added to it until your payment was received.
- But do so before the payment is due to maintain the most leverage.
- If you are over 64, the total amount of the payment you receive will be reduced on a sliding scale.
3(reward, thanks)pago masculinerecompensa feminineas / in payment for my years of devoted service — como / en pago / como / en recompensa por mis años de abnegado servicio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.