In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(calm, quiet)(animal) pacífico(place/spot) tranquiloa peaceful Sunday afternoon — una tranquila tarde de domingo
- the patient spent a peaceful night — el paciente pasó una buena noche / pasó la noche tranquilo
- the city is peaceful again — vuelve a reinar la paz en la ciudad
- The couple have created a peaceful, restful place, with a wide range of colourful flowers.
- There is great value in the splendid isolation of a quiet walk along a peaceful river.
- A peaceful, relaxing environment, free of interruptions and disturbances, is best.
- Election officials reported that balloting was peaceful and largely free of problems.
- I have finally found some peaceful, stress free time to actually do some worship.
- We were lucky to secure a seafront apartment and our row of apartments had a peaceful and relaxing ambience.
- It was calm, peaceful and relaxing but Natalie felt the total opposite.
- It did help me sleep, and also left me feeling rather peaceful and pleasant as I drifted off.
- So, if someone asked you to visualise somewhere peaceful and relaxing, where would you take yourself?
- Melody was shocked to hear such a crashing sound in a place so quiet and peaceful.
- A central patio with a lush garden and a small pond creates a peaceful mood in the midst of a busy city.
- The peaceful and tranquil room will be used by students in the school who are taking part in the programme.
- This tranquil and peaceful haven is home to some of the largest and rarest trees and shrubs in England.
- The only way in was by boat, making the countryside all the more peaceful and tranquil.
- The cave remains a peaceful and secluded place, surrounded by pine forest.
- Free speech and open discussion are crucial components of a free and peaceful society.
- Listening to a flowing creek may be just the thing for relaxing on a peaceful afternoon.
- Sitting there and throwing out a line, you can enjoy a peaceful day without being disturbed.
- It's so quiet and peaceful it is hard to believe there's a hectic Indian city on the other side of the walls.
- It was not as peaceful and relaxing as we were led to believe it would be.
2(non-violent)(protest/picketing) pacífico(picketing/protest) no violentopeaceful coexistence — la coexistencia / convivencia pacífica
- the peaceful use of nuclear power — el uso de la energía nuclear para fines pacíficos
- they are a peaceful nation/people — son una nación/un pueblo amante de la paz
- We urge all the campaigners, young and old, to stay calm and keep their demonstrations peaceful and responsible.
- Everywhere, struggles over the land, whether peaceful or violent, shaped political attitudes.
- Under such circumstances, a peaceful reunification of Europe would never have taken place.
- The voting process was peaceful, and people eventually accepted the results.
- We have to address our differences not through violent means but with dialogue and peaceful debate.
- We demonstrated against the broadcast and our demonstrations were peaceful.
- Also, I think people did respond to police violence against peaceful protests.
- He has vowed to end the conflict by peaceful or military means.
- Yet there was clear evidence that the demonstrations were good-natured and peaceful.
- She still has powerful words of wisdom about the need to find peaceful means to resolve conflict.
- He said his party is against all sort of violence and demands the peaceful resolution to the issue.
- However, it is also our responsibility to argue for prevention of violence and peaceful resolution of conflict.
- There have been a number of examples of peaceful conflict resolution in places that have been hot spots for decades.
- Militant anarchists intent on violence broke away from peaceful demonstrators and left a trail of destruction.
- The demonstration was peaceful and there was minimal disruption to traffic.
- Unitarians believe there should be peaceful co-existence between nations as well as between people.
- I think we'll actually see some peaceful resolution in a very short term.
- The only stable government is one that allows for a peaceful and orderly transfer of power.
- In short, it rules out anything that would disturb peaceful trade among individuals.
- If you are going to a peaceful demonstration, why do you need to prepare legal strategies for arrests?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.