In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1perla feminine(earrings/necklace) de perlasa string of pearls — un collar de perlas
- to cast pearls before swine — echarles margaritas a los cerdos
- Within it, there are gems, rubies, pearls and flawless diamonds.
- It's a pair of pearl and diamond earrings and an 18 carat gold bangle.
- The dress had a pair of arm-length gloves, a pearl necklace and earrings, and a pair of glass high-heel dress shoes.
- He pulled out magnificent earrings with glistening pearls and emeralds dripping from them and then a glass cup with painted mermaids on it.
- She had changed from her khaki uniform to a more casual blue slacks, white pullover sweater and blue shoes, pearl earrings and a pearl necklace.
- She wore a crisp business suit, which was shown off by a pearl necklace and matching earrings.
- A simple rhinestone or pearl necklace and earring set will enhance the look of your maids.
- Dawson brought from his jacket pocket the ring that Edric had spent months saving for, white gold with a pearl in the center that would match her wedding dress splendidly.
- In fact, the only piece of jewelry that she wore was a pearl necklace, matching pearl earrings, and a gold wedding ring encasing a ruby.
- I always called the white flowers diamonds or pearls.
- Some of the antique jewellery was studded with emeralds, ruby, zircons and pearls.
- It's all about defending the shiny bejeweled palace on the hill and guarding the precious pearls and birthstones hidden within.
- She wore a pearl charm bracelet on her wrist and bounded down the stairs.
- He could see the potential for lobster farming and later in Australia would experiment with the aquaculture of oysters, pearls, and pearl shells.
- Next was another necklace - no, a choker - which was made of orange jewels and white pearls.
- She even had on a pearl necklace and earrings to match.
- The hem was trimmed with white beads, and pearls and rubies framed the neck.
- The center jewel was a white pearl, large and round.
- Unconsciously, her hands worked to take off her small pearl earrings as she entered her room and closed the door behind her.
- Her matching pearl earrings and necklace elegantly decorated her.
1.2nácar masculinemadreperla feminineconcha nácar feminine Mexicoconcha de perla feminine Chile(brooch/buttons) de nácar(brooch/buttons) de madreperla(buttons/brooch) de concha nácar Mexico(buttons/brooch) de concha de perla Chile(nail varnish/lipstick) nacarado(nail varnish/lipstick) perlado
- Fashion critics adore her dresses in hand-dyed shades of pearl, frost, teal, grey and chocolate, worn over silk slip dresses.
- Call it what you will - lily white, creamy white, porcelain or pearl - I am still ghostly pale.
- Its hues were of white, pearl, and alabaster, and it shone with pristine care and impeccable architecture.
- There are five color options: nighthawk black pearl, opal beige, redrock pearl, satin silver metallic and silverstone metallic.
- Variations of green, pale and gentle, or a shimmer of apricot or pearl can perfectly set a great reading mood for pages with heavy content.
1.3(thing of value, beauty)joya femininepearls of wisdom — sabias palabras
- Hawaii, pearl of the Pacific — Hawai, la perla del Pacífico
- But I turn them down, knowing that I must reserve my pearls of wisdom for you - my appreciative readers.
- I had hoped to receive pearls of wisdom on how to distinguish between ‘benign’ and serious headaches; what I learnt was that basically you can't.
- But with his well-documented habit of pausing for 30 seconds or so while considering the question, you do begin to wonder if he revels in cultivating an air of expectancy for his pearls of wisdom.
- The looks that I get in return for my pearls of wisdom are invariably of the blank variety.
- He can't resist imparting his pearls of wisdom.
- And to be honest, after 4 years of publishing my pearls of wisdom on a near-daily basis, I still don't really know.
- What pearls of wisdom can I impart as a result of yet another year's experience?
- It is one of those scientific pearls of wisdom that tend to be quoted after several pints - a duck's quack does not produce an echo, and no-one knows why.
- Berrie insists she has too much still to learn herself, without presuming to pass on pearls of wisdom to others.
- What philosophical pearl did he leave for history?
- On a training workshop last year I picked up one of those little pearls of wisdom that stay with you for years.
- Those who attended his classes at the University of California in the mid-1960s were lucky enough to pick up a few pearls of wisdom, and we do have some revealing interviews and articles.
- He is acknowledged as a man who is selfless in giving advice to those who are eager to listen to his pearls of wisdom on racing and breeding.
- Still, there were pearls of wisdom buried amid the dogma.
- They are little pearls of wisdom - often handed down to us from our parents and grandparents.
- The pearls of wisdom may, however, be lost at times in the factual information, and a few more diagrams would have helped.
- The history of cinema is littered with priceless pearls of wisdom delivered by eccentric movie producers.
- But wait: in an act of ablution worthy of the papacy, the writer throws us this pearl.
- School children tag along beside us, as we examine architectural jewels, eager to soak up our guide's pearls of wisdom.
- Keri's pearls of wisdom are always a welcome delight.
transitive and intransitive verb
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.