In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(finish/gloss) nacarado(finish/gloss) perladopearly teeth — dientes de perla
- the Pearly Gates — las puertas del Paraíso
- One half of each was a light pearly green, and the other half was metallic green ringed with gold strips.
- The head and breast were pearly gray, and the rest of the bird was rusty brown.
- She strode to her pearly white dresser and extracted several clothes.
- Chris's green eyes glittered, and a smile played across his pearly teeth as he ran his hands ran through his short black hair.
- A smudge of pearly glitter was left on each cheek.
- He smiled and I could see his teeth were straight and pearly white.
- Her smile, with all her little pearly teeth, was absolutely angelic.
- Hector shut his eyes, to see his inner world, a blaze of swirling pearly colours.
- His knuckles turned first a deep red before fading to pearly white.
- Her teeth were pearly white and surrounded by full lips.
- I offered a charming smile of my own, showing pearly teeth.
- The hours ticked by as first a head and then the body and finally the feet of a healthy, powerful, baby boy emerged into a world of pearly dawn light.
- She had light pearly skin with rosy cheeks - an angel in everyone's eyes.
- Slick on your lip color, and then grab some pearly gloss.
- They're white, pearly, straight, and absolutely gorgeous.
- Translucent lips pulled back from pearly teeth in a wicked grin.
- In her rosy spring dress and pearly cream gloves, she looked the image of a genteel woman.
- The pearly grey colour and rough texture forms an expressive contrast with the smooth white render.
- ‘He wouldn't wake up - I had to kick him,’ said Sabriel bluntly, the moonlight illuminating her black hair with its pearly light.
- She has taken the last few days off, however, because she has just had her teeth bleached pearly white.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.