In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1canuto masculinecerbatana feminine
- He's reciting Shakespeare in a talent show but he can't seem to get his lines out - because the gang's pelting him with pea-shooters!
- In awe of your older brother Dane, you shot a pea-shooter at his horse, causing it to throw him and inflict injuries from which he later died.
- I'd have got a Bic biro and chewed up bits of paper and spat them through the pen at him like an old pea-shooter.
- This is the second time in about an hour that I've had those pea-shooters pointed at me, and it's really not impressing anyone.
- Put that real gun back in the counter and let me see the sissy-looking pea-shooter again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.