In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At 350 hectares, Foulshaw Moss is one of the largest remaining areas of peat bog habitat in Britain.
- Other garden peat can contain chemicals that can harm discus fish so just be careful.
- A lot of East Anglia was covered in peat bog, until they decided to drain it.
- Potting mixes containing peat seem to be particularly affected by fungus gnats.
- The largest frozen peat bog in the world, lying in western Siberia, is melting, according to Russian scientists.
- The climate was temperate but windy, the terrain a mixture of downland, rocky hills and peat bogs.
- Dig materials such as straw, peat, compost, and leaves into the soil, or lay them on as mulch.
- Place the seeds in a plastic bag with a mixture of sand and peat or other suitable growing mix.
- Potting soil contains rich organic material such as peat and various composted barks.
- An energy tax would penalise industries which use energy based on fossil fuel, including oil, coal and peat.
- It provides a good usable soil amendment for the garden and is certainly much less expensive than peat.
- The directive does require farmers to supply pigs with rooting materials such as straw, hay, wood, sawdust, compost or peat.
- In marked contrast, needles of a variety of conifers are frequently abundant in peat and lake deposits.
- The reason why it was so well preserved was that it was recovered from a peat bog.
- Two rivers flowed between us and our destination, a miniature hut lost in an expanse of peat bog.
- The plant material, which forms deposits of peat locally, is likely the source of the phosphate.
- There is no air in a peat bog and, therefore, undrained peat is made up of 90% water.
- It may be desirable to amend the soil with sand or peat.
- It is believed to get its name from a long gone drainage channel which ran over a peat bog.
- The route meanders up, over the rocks and then more peat bog.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.