In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jerarquía femininethey were fighting for their place in the pecking order — luchaban por hacerse un lugar en la jerarquía
- So when some people object to ‘poverty’, what they're really objecting to is status, and the tendency of human beings to observe and respect status, and to organize themselves into pecking orders.
- The social hierarchies and pecking orders are best revealed through the cell phone calls and text-messaging that the characters almost constantly engage in with each other.
- The cantor had the second position within the pecking order of ministry.
- Those at the bottom of the pecking order scrape by, defying our understanding of what is required to keep body and soul together.
- The new face had to be assessed, evaluated and placed in rank according to the established pecking order.
- You had to fight, literally, to find your place in the pecking order.
- Thus, for centuries, wants have superseded needs on the social pecking order.
- Indians, irrespective of their place in the social pecking order, tend to speak loudly.
- ‘If we can take care of them again, it puts them down the pecking order,’ said Lambert.
- Transfers of power will occur and new pecking orders will be established.
- Some have to find their niche lower down the pecking order.
- But today it appears the social pecking order defined by financial correctness is subtler.
- Human beings seek to ascertain their place in the pecking order and then ascend.
- There are other long-term ramifications of teachers slipping down the social pecking order.
- The social pecking order so apparent in Japanese society became equally well defined by certain golf clubs.
- And their mere existence is a reminder of your position in the pecking order.
- Even after you get in there is a strict pecking order to be observed.
- They are poorly resourced and have low status in the bureaucratic pecking order.
- Pastors are ranked into a pecking order by whatever numbers their tribe values.
- Crows and falcons are top of the pecking order in the league table of bird-brains, it was revealed today.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.