In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural pedaloes, Plural pedalos
1bote de pedales masculinepatín masculine Spain
- All the latest marine hardware was there - from modest self-assembled rafts, with their homely oil drums and tarpaulins, to sleek, converted pedalos.
- Matagorda beach is a great place for watersports and the pair can try jet skiing, pedaloes, windsurfing and banana boats.
- There is a continual panorama on the water according to season and weather: sailing boats, ferries, pedalos, water birds, fishermen, swimmers and ever-changing skies and light.
- Westport House has swan pedaloes, train rides, a fun palace, a hill slide, a slippery dip, pitch & putt, rowing boats and log flume rides.
- One day, in between dives, we decided to rent a pedalo to take us to the lower end of the lake, where we were told we would find something called La Rota, or wheel.
- Got on a pedalo and pedaloed round the Serpentine.
- Paradise Beach has traditional water sports available such as water skiing, jet skis, banana boats, pedalos etc.
- Man, I'm gonna get me a six pack and watch those pedaloes go.
- The hotel had canoes, pedaloes, sailboats and powerboats for the use of its guests.
- I have been in touch with fellow councillors in Poole about introducing pedalos on the lake, which would be better than boats.
- It has an open-air swimming pool, canoes, pedalos and a pirate ship ready to take families for a sail.
- Rowing boats and pedalos can also be hired and prices start at £5 an hour per person.
- From pedalos to parascenders, the Caribbean has them all.
- He then has to spend the summer ducking the paparazzi when all he really wants to do is go out in a pedalo with his girlfriend.
- Complimentary activities include water skiing, windsurfing, snorkelling trips, glass bottom boats, kayaks, pedaloes, a floodlit tennis court, table tennis and the use of the hotel's fitness room.
- Our gear follows by pedalo, local boys providing an enthusiastic support crew.
- Mini club for 4-10-year-olds has a TV room, small pool, swings, slide, games and restaurant; activities include fishing trips, glass bottom boat trips, pedalos and pony riding.
- They are already planning their next venture - across Scotland by pedalo.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.