In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So scrupulous, and so close to perfect: that's the impression the reader is intended to glean from such exercises in pedantry.
- Sometimes the corrections are amusing exercises in pedantry.
- To criticise animation for being too perfect may seem like pedantry and it's clear that a lot of work went into the film.
- As a director, his perfectionism / pedantry would have tested the patience of any producer.
- There is much pedantry, but every so often there is stark beauty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.