In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pedestal masculineto knock sb off her/his pedestal — bajarle los humos a algn
- before noun pedestal lamp — lámpara de pie
- The former world champion bull rider arrived in 1987 from the United States with the kind of reputation that placed him on a pedestal in a place like the Territory.
- His various incarnations have accorded him iconic status, but his pedestal is not carved from stone.
- There is much to be learned about a culture from those persons whom it places upon pedestals, whom it admires and emulates, whom it calls heroes.
- I felt people were watching me and waiting for me to fall off that pedestal.
- Young boys invariably put their fathers on a pedestal holding them in some superman-type awe.
- Take what and who you adore and admire off their pedestals.
- It's an anger that also directed at the nation's sanctimonious sportswriters, who are only too quick and too happy to turn on those players whose pedestals they've invested so much time constructing.
- The ascension to that pedestal may never happen.
- The one-time village girl from Uduwaka, a one-hour journey from Colombo, is determined to push the Lankans to the pedestal of glory.
- I gave him all the credit for everything and so I had him on a pedestal.
- ‘Of course, if you fail, and you have been put on that pedestal, it is a lot harder because you have further to fall,’ he said.
- ‘Just hope I don't fall off that pedestal you've got me on,’ she muttered under her breath.
- No one had the ability to knock him from that pedestal, least of all Todd.
- While Moore did more than any of his contemporaries to inspire a new generation to turn to sculpture, Caro took the art form down from its pedestal and opened up the debate as to what it might or might not be.
- Anyone have an idea of how to bring myself down from that pedestal?
- Too often our African American heroes and heroines are placed on pedestals - far out of reach.
- The contest is wide open since Manchester United got knocked off their pedestal by Arsenal last season.
- I think that any writer who can attract readers should be honoured and put on a pedestal because we're rapidly becoming post-literate in the United States.
- I never thought I was a daddy's girl, that I put my father on a pedestal, but it seems I have.
- Only a revolutionary like Guru Nanak could raise a woman to a high pedestal, as early as the 15th century.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.