In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mocoso masculine informalmocosa feminine informal
- We were in the peewee semifinals for all of Ontario.
- I hadn't done that in front of my dad since my last year in peewee football.
- He sponsors an Urban League girls basketball league and an AAU boys travel team, and he bought equipment last year for a peewee football team.
- In the game's final 14 minutes, Gretzky did whatever he pleased, toying with the league's best as if they were a peewee team.
- I remember one time I scored seven goals in a peewee game when I was eight.
- Good things apparently come in twos as well as threes - at least when it comes to the North Shore Winter Club's Winterhawks peewee hockey teams.
- The top three in peewee barrel racing were Tyler Scherger, Wyatt Branden and Brecken Tulloch with times of 18.433, 19.136 and 19.194 seconds respectively.
- I was winning science fairs left and right, getting my picture in the paper for spelling bees and peewee football games, and many more little achievements of mine.
- You can come, but I've got to have you home by six for peewee practice.
- The penultimate sibling in a brood of four girls and three boys reared by Karen Dawsey, Brackins is 9 when he first puts on football pads for a peewee league team.
- Promotional costs - for example, sponsoring a peewee football team - are also deductible as long as there is a clear connection between the sponsorship and your business.
- Then I'd come home, and there would be peewee soccer or Little League.
- I would hold a team meeting and ask each of the rookies to recount the moments when they really came through under pressure - whether it was in peewee golf, college or on tour.
- He has been snapping so long - since his peewee days - that he knows how to grip the ball to make it spin into the holder's hands so the laces won't be a problem.
- It's like a peewee golf course for fishermen.
- Ferrell plays Phil, a peewee soccer coach driven to insanity by his scarily competitive relationship with his father.
- On either side of the play-park was a green park where people usually walked their dogs, or went for walks on sunny afternoons, or hosted peewee practice for numerous sports.
- Last season he coached the peewee team to the league title but fell to rivals Surrey and Richmond in the provincial playdowns.
- This isn't peewee football, where teams are grouped into age categories because of the huge advantages older kids have (in size, strength, speed, and coordination) over younger ones.
- He played T-ball, then moved on to peewee baseball, and played on the high school team since he was in seventh grade at the middle school.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.