In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1penalpenal offense — delito penal masculine
- a penal institution — un establecimiento penitenciario
- The Judaeo-Christian tradition insists that the primary aim of any penal system is to reform and restore.
- Quite frankly, I am of the view that you will be able to better deal with those mental health issues in the provincial penal system as opposed to the federal penal system.
- Granted, prison is a place for punishment, but our penal system seems to be committing worse crimes than most of the people who are in jail.
- Humane and rational reform of the penal system is needed urgently.
- A fabulously expensive and enormous penal system whose rapidly mounting social costs will be borne, ultimately, by every woman, man, and child in the country.
- I did my time (the best part of an hour) in a prison that was briefly the most notorious in the Scottish penal system.
- Any transformation of the penal system must start with the redesign of prison buildings.
- More than 90 countries worldwide have abolished corporal punishment in schools and penal systems for youth.
- Can you imagine, for example, the crisis that would be created within our penal system if lifers were never to have hope of changed circumstances?
- A spate of prison suicides has highlighted the terrible state of Britain's penal system.
- What sort of a penal system do we have when those who are supposed to confine the prisoners cannot or do not protect them?
- But a federal court turned the company down, noting that the rights of the public to information about the penal system do not include a promise of unfettered access.
- Those people wanted punishment to be brought back into the penal system, but what has happened?
- In the same way that hospitals are the acute end of the healthcare system, prisons should be the acute end of the penal system.
- It is far too late for us to start thinking about rehabilitation as the primary objective of our penal system once young offenders have been through this useless youth justice system, but that is exactly what we have done.
- In my judgment it is legitimate to have regard to public perception when considering the characteristics of a penal system.
- Power can be conceptualized as control over resources that are desired by other people, and can be exerted in numerous ways including through legal and penal systems.
- Concerned with the increase in violent crimes in the last decades of the twentieth century, many people are demanding a stricter police control and reforms in the penal system which would extend the time of incarceration.
- However, he said it was important that the Irish penal system still offered prisoners some hope of rehabilitation and reintegration into society.
- Institutional racism dogs educational, legal and penal systems on all continents.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.