In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estuche (para lápices) masculineplumier masculine Spainchuspa feminine Colombiacartuchera feminine River Plate
- A grey pencil case containing pens, pencils, a compass and eraser a ruler and small sheets of paper.
- They usually had pristine and polished satchels and a comprehensive range of pens, pencils and compasses carefully arranged in different compartments of a wooden pencil case.
- When I went to retrieve them ten days later my pencil case was missing.
- When challenged the pupil pointed to a pencil case, which is understood to have contained a further ten rounds.
- He reached down for his bag, pulled out a pencil case.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.