In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Exanthematous eruptions most commonly occur in association with the administration of penicillins or cephalosporins.
- Within these two therapeutic drug classes, penicillins were identified 22 times, cephalosporins 21 times, and opioids 20 times.
- The lactams are a family of antimicrobial agents consisting of four major groups: penicillins, cephalosporins, monobactams, and carbapenems.
- Oral antibiotics are usually used in the treatment and include first-generation cephalosporins, penicillinase-resistant penicillins, macrolides, and fluoroquinolones.
- In general, cephalosporins and penicillins are not very effective in treating acne.
- The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.
- Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.
- Antibiotic categories to consider include penicillins, cephalosporins, and macrolides.
- While the incidence of true cross-reactivity between penicillins and cephalosporins is low, the possible reactions include anaphylaxis, which can be fatal.
- For the patient who is allergic to penicillins, the use of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is indicated.
- Many were originally sensitive to antibiotics such as penicillins, but overuse of these drugs has resulted in many multi-resistant bacteria.
- Studies from the late 1960s and the 1970s revealed that streptococcal eradication was equal with intramuscularly and orally administered penicillins.
- Unlike Streptococcus pneumoniae, group A beta-hemolytic streptococci have not developed resistance to penicillins.
- Most antibiotics such as penicillins, cyclosporines, and aminoglycosides can be used safely during pregnancy, but tetracyclines should be avoided.
- All the usual range of antibiotics, penicillins and cephalosporins are pretty much useless against these things.
- Overuse of antibiotics has been shown to drive the evolution of mutant strains of bacteria immune to a broad spectrum of drugs, including penicillins, cephalosporins, and quinolones.
- It is well established that far less expensive antibiotics, including the penicillins and tetracyclines, are highly effective against Anthrax.
- The aminopenicillins were the first penicillins discovered to be active against gram-negative rods such as E. coli and H. influenzae.
- Enterococci are inherently resistant to cephalosporins, semi-synthetic penicillins, and clindamycin.
- The surprising finding was that people who had reacted to sulphonamides were more likely to react to penicillins than to sulphonamide non-antibiotics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.