- The programme of sports included a popular penny-farthing race, which was won by a man from Bawtry for the third year in succession.
- He takes us from the French pushbike or draisine of 1816 through boneshakers and penny-farthings to the English velocipedes and the Humbers of the 1880s.
- British cyclists likened the disparity in size of the two wheels to their coinage, nicknaming it the penny-farthing.
- The present-day style of bicycle was rapidly replacing their penny-farthing bicycle during the 1890s.
- In the 1860s a front-wheel-drive machine was manufactured - the bone-shaker - and in subsequent decades the front wheel became larger until the penny-farthing had developed.