In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Two years later the ancient pentathlon was established in Greece.
- The 1912 Olympics in Stockholm are best remembered for Jim Thorpe's world record successes in the most demanding track and field events, the pentathlon and the decathlon.
- Thorpe was the sensation of the 1912 Stockholm Olympics and won the pentathlon and decathlon gold medals by huge margins.
- They show particular eminence in fencing, wrestling, pentathlon, swimming and canoeing.
- She watched as pupils competed in a pentathlon on the school field, before presenting awards to pupils judged to be either the best sportsperson, most improved sportsperson or most sportsmanlike pupil in their class.
- You should have had Thorpe, the winner of the decathlon and pentathlon at the 1912 Olympics who also played Major League Baseball from 1913 to 1919.
- American Indian athlete Jim Thorpe was the most outstanding, winning the track & field, pentathlon and decathlon.
- After winning the pentathlon at the Olympic Games, probably in 444 BC, he went on to write one of the first training manuals.
- Nordic skiing is the one common denominator to all winter duathlons, triathlons, quadrathlons and pentathlons - some freestyle, some classic, some with a leg of each.
- If pentathlon loses its Olympic status, its supporters argue, the sport will wither and die.
- Baseball might be right up with pentathlon and synchronised swimming among sports of dubious Olympian pedigree.
- The guys who were best at the pentathlon wouldn't be the best at the specialty events, but people would admire their versatility and great skill.
- But it was during his sophomore year in high school after meeting a pentathlon athlete that he first took a hard look at his own possibilities in the sport.
- She won a gold medal in the pentathlon event at the 1972 Munich games.
- Even if you managed to meet these requirements, there were still only a limited number of sports to compete in; foot races, discus, javelin, long jump, wrestling, boxing, the pentathlon and equestrian events.
- The first Olympic victor in the long jump was Lampis of Sparta, who in 708 B.C. won the pentathlon - a contest consisting of five separate events, including the long jump.
- Mary Peters, 1972 Olympic champion in the pentathlon, the forerunner of the heptathlon, describes her, wonderfully, as ‘part gazelle, part kangaroo’.
- He would recover, though, and go on to win the silver medal in the pentathlon at the 1996 Olympics.
- It's not including her numerous medals and trophies for triathlons, pentathlons and track and field events.
- The regional project has challenged pupils to construct a ‘mechanical athlete’ that will compete in a mechanical pentathlon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.