In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Going into yesterday's penultimate stage nine Scottish riders were still on course to make it to Dublin.
- He dropped right out of contention before they jumped the penultimate fence.
- It seems certain that the opening chapter of the penultimate story in the series will contain major revelations.
- It took a while to pass from the penultimate bus-stop to the stop outside the Tube, but that is far from remarkable.
- Although the duo finished four days behind the penultimate boat in their class, there was no disgrace in this.
- He was even part of the penultimate match in the third round at Sandwich.
- This is shown by the penultimate episode with the boy who attempts to cast a bell despite not knowing how.
- Even so, they will go tomorrow into the penultimate day of the series knowing they still have a chance of squaring it.
- This season we have had eight different drivers winning races and a three-way title fight up to the penultimate round.
- I have therefore rewritten the last pages of the penultimate chapter in which an attempt was made to judge his career.
- The frantic opening track pace is kept up right until the penultimate song.
- This book, the penultimate volume of a projected three volume set is, if you are going to buy one, the one to buy.
- The penultimate volume will unlock the key to the whole series, with one leading character being killed off.
- The final disc was surprisingly easy, considering how much I struggled through the penultimate one.
- The penultimate chapter of the book asks if fascism can reappear in modern society, using the five stages as an indicator.
- His score was the fifth best of all time, despite only taking the lead after the penultimate event.
- Posting one of the fastest times, she was unlucky to nudge a pole at the penultimate fence to finish eighth overall.
- As the tension mounted during the penultimate test of the day, less than four seconds separated the top six finishers.
- The pair placed a third fastest time on the penultimate stage of the rally and moved into second place.
- The penultimate step came in July 1998 when he was made executive director and chief operating officer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.