In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A comparable case is that of Iraq, where in spite of the weekly strikes by the U.S. and Britain and the penurious condition of the country, has still not thrown in the towel.
- Unlike the penurious English king, Louis provided substantial financial support for full-time investigation.
- His poems continuously make us understand the penurious effects of genocide in communal riots.
- This, as you might appreciate, presents many problems for a man with the soul of a tortured and penurious poet.
- The garish festivities are set in one of the world's most penurious places.
- But then again, memory is cheaper than at any time I've ever known it, and 1 GB of RAM is affordable by all but those in the most penurious of situations.
- Was the students' act bordering on something like savagery when they took advantage of the workers' penurious state?
- He had grown up in a penurious middle-class family, and it was the middle class and the official world which predominated in his sketches, stories, and plays.
- Once some penurious student has finished loading up a piece of art into her van, it immediately gains in value.
- Your plan to spend everything you have and more as soon as possible seems a certain recipe for a penurious old age.
- He is encouraged by the fact that the penurious state of the game is forcing Scottish clubs to offer greater opportunities to youngsters.
- One promising effort is intended to increase the low personal savings rate in the U.S., which could doom many people to a penurious retirement.
- She never recovered from the Great Depression and lived a penurious existence to the end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.