In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1penuria femininemiseria feminineto live in penury — vivir en la penuria / en la miseria
- It was her penury and negligence that let the house deteriorate.
- Women who believe they are in for a reasonable standard of living during widowhood, are to be step-by-step, reduced to penury.
- Bastille Day in France commemorates the French Revolution and reminds us of one of the most unpleasant and blood-soaked regimes ever to have reduced a country to penury.
- Even in the middle of penury, dreams remain colourful.
- Falling in love with a tea vendor could suit the infatuated young mind but when it comes to marriage she is able to visualise the agony of penury and gets out of the affair.
- Perhaps it was unavoidable, yet it was a road that led past ruin, default and penury, through the plunder of Russia and the impoverishment of Russians.
- But despite his outstanding gifts he's soon in penury again because the crocodile he has adopted is scaring off potential clients.
- Now, as then, a government is reducing its citizens to penury as they are deprived of their income and homes.
- Having been reduced to penury, struggling to survive, they no longer serve as an effective political opposition.
- I will reduce myself to penury to save you from the evils of gambling, even if it means winning millions of pounds.
- He was not a poverty-stricken peasant's son looking to escape penury.
- In a globalized economy, it imposes penury on trading partners, especially the poorest countries.
- After slaving to bring up children and nursemaid a man while simultaneously working to boost the family's income, they are the ones left to live out a lonely and unglamorous old age in penury.
- Living a life in penury, they have sold everything.
- He was reduced to living in penury in miserable exile in France; and on his return to York he was imprisoned for three months.
- Price rises due to his stealth taxes have reduced thousands like me to utter penury.
- If we all looked, acted, thought and behaved as badly as spammers do, our world would be reduced to desperate penury.
- It follows that you don't have to reduce yourself to utter penury.
- In overcoming that penury, modern technology as well as economic interrelations have been influential.
- It is a miracle that her flimsy frame has been able to survive the extremes of weather, utter penury and the cruel sneers of her snobbish compatriots during her hellish ordeal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.