In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They consisted of minced chicken and potatoes with coriander, garlic and peppers wrapped in spring roll pastry.
- Cucumbers, squash, melons, peppers, eggplant, sweet corn and even green beans are candidates.
- You may add anything you wish from the garden to the egg mixture - sautéed peppers, mushrooms, courgettes or wilted chard are particularly delicious.
- Gently fry the bacon, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and then sauté onion, peppers, garlic, fennel and saffron.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion and garlic and combine in a blender.
- Good sources include mango, orange, red and orange peppers, nectarines, papaya, squash and honeydew melon.
- Cube the peppers and onion to the same size as the aubergine pieces.
- To relieve the tension we joked about going home to the smell of grilled onions and peppers.
- Add the onions and peppers and sauté until translucent.
- Aubergines, green beans, courgettes, garlic, leeks, peppers, potatoes, shallots, spinach and most variety of potatoes are excellent buys.
- Add soy pepperoni to veggie pizza, or combine sliced soy sausage with peppers, onions and potatoes for a hearty stir-fry.
- They are also developing treatments for other hard-to-keep produce, such as potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, and bananas.
- Add mushrooms, peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano and sauté until onion is tender, which is about seven minutes.
- The sauce has heated nicely and is getting on really well with the peppers, onions and mushrooms.
- The plant is a member of the family Solanaceae and therefore a relation of the New World capsicum peppers and potato, and of the Old World aubergine.
- Stir-fry the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and peppers and cook until the onion turns translucent.
- If you like a pickled egg or a greasy pie with your pint, you're out of luck; you'll have to make do with a ciabatta with feta and roasted peppers or a big plate of sweet potato wedges and dips from the daily specials board instead.
- Put the onions, garlic and peppers into a shallow pan with the olive oil and cook slowly for five minutes.
- It did look quite appetising - a mountain of rice with fresh vegetables, courgettes, peppers, onions and peas, blended together by a tomato sauce.
1.1(spice)pimienta feminineblack pepper — pimienta negra
- white pepper — pimienta blanca
- pepper steak — filete a la pimienta
- Make shallots, garlic, red chilies, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground pepper, trassi and turmeric into a paste.
- First prepare the mayo: place the egg yolks, mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper in a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- Drizzle over some oil, then season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
- Whiz the onion, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Add freshly ground pepper, the bay leaf, a splash of wine, and the butter.
- The meat mixture has ground beef, onion, tomato paste, peas, salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper if you'd like.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add sea salt, pepper, parsley and paprika, and whisk.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil, and scatter with sea salt, pepper and oregano.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, add the parsley and stir gently.
- Add some Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and a small bowl of freshly grated Parmesan to dip into.
- Drizzle with two tablespoons of oil, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and top with the thyme.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to accompany chicken, steaks, lamb, or burgers.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder and garlic.
- Add a smear of oil, then season the steak with sea salt and ground pepper and place in the pan.
- Drying may bring about a desirable change in flavour, as in pepper where the pungency increases.
- Transfer into the salad bowl, add in the parsley and rucola, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper, and toss to coat.
- Squeeze the lime or lemon juice over the peas and lentils, grind over a little pepper and salt and serve hot.
- The lamb was roasted with minced spices and peppers, tender and pungent.
- Season with salt and ground pepper then put in a container with the crushed garlic and olive oil.
2(capsicum fruit, plant)pimiento masculinepimentón masculine River Plate South Americaají masculine River Plategreen pepper — pimiento (/ pimentón etc. ) verde
- red pepper — ají morrón
1Cookingponerle pimienta aecharle pimienta a
2(pelt)to pepper sth/sb ( with sth) — acribillar algo/a algn ( a algo)
- they peppered him with questions — lo acribillaron a preguntas
3(intersperse)to pepper sth with sth — salpicar algo de algo
- the speech was peppered with anecdotes — el discurso estuvo salpicado de anécdotas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.