In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(spice)pimienta feminineblack pepper — pimienta negra
- white pepper — pimienta blanca
- pepper steak — filete a la pimienta
- Drizzle over some oil, then season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
- Add freshly ground pepper, the bay leaf, a splash of wine, and the butter.
- Whiz the onion, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer into the salad bowl, add in the parsley and rucola, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper, and toss to coat.
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper if you'd like.
- Squeeze the lime or lemon juice over the peas and lentils, grind over a little pepper and salt and serve hot.
- Season with salt and ground pepper then put in a container with the crushed garlic and olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder and garlic.
- Make shallots, garlic, red chilies, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground pepper, trassi and turmeric into a paste.
- First prepare the mayo: place the egg yolks, mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper in a food processor and process for a few seconds.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, add the parsley and stir gently.
- Drizzle with two tablespoons of oil, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and top with the thyme.
- Add a smear of oil, then season the steak with sea salt and ground pepper and place in the pan.
- The meat mixture has ground beef, onion, tomato paste, peas, salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil, and scatter with sea salt, pepper and oregano.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to accompany chicken, steaks, lamb, or burgers.
- Add some Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and a small bowl of freshly grated Parmesan to dip into.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add sea salt, pepper, parsley and paprika, and whisk.
- The lamb was roasted with minced spices and peppers, tender and pungent.
- Drying may bring about a desirable change in flavour, as in pepper where the pungency increases.
1.2also pepper plantpimentero masculine
2also sweet pepper(capsicum fruit, plant)pimiento masculinepimentón masculine South America River Plateají masculine River Plategreen pepper — pimiento (/ pimentón etc. ) verde
- red pepper — ají morrón
- Gently fry the bacon, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and then sauté onion, peppers, garlic, fennel and saffron.
- To relieve the tension we joked about going home to the smell of grilled onions and peppers.
- The sauce has heated nicely and is getting on really well with the peppers, onions and mushrooms.
- The plant is a member of the family Solanaceae and therefore a relation of the New World capsicum peppers and potato, and of the Old World aubergine.
- Good sources include mango, orange, red and orange peppers, nectarines, papaya, squash and honeydew melon.
- If you like a pickled egg or a greasy pie with your pint, you're out of luck; you'll have to make do with a ciabatta with feta and roasted peppers or a big plate of sweet potato wedges and dips from the daily specials board instead.
- It did look quite appetising - a mountain of rice with fresh vegetables, courgettes, peppers, onions and peas, blended together by a tomato sauce.
- Cucumbers, squash, melons, peppers, eggplant, sweet corn and even green beans are candidates.
- Stir-fry the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes.
- They consisted of minced chicken and potatoes with coriander, garlic and peppers wrapped in spring roll pastry.
- Add mushrooms, peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano and sauté until onion is tender, which is about seven minutes.
- Put the onions, garlic and peppers into a shallow pan with the olive oil and cook slowly for five minutes.
- Cube the peppers and onion to the same size as the aubergine pieces.
- Add the onions and peppers and sauté until translucent.
- Add the onion, garlic, and peppers and cook until the onion turns translucent.
- Add soy pepperoni to veggie pizza, or combine sliced soy sausage with peppers, onions and potatoes for a hearty stir-fry.
- You may add anything you wish from the garden to the egg mixture - sautéed peppers, mushrooms, courgettes or wilted chard are particularly delicious.
- Aubergines, green beans, courgettes, garlic, leeks, peppers, potatoes, shallots, spinach and most variety of potatoes are excellent buys.
- They are also developing treatments for other hard-to-keep produce, such as potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, and bananas.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion and garlic and combine in a blender.
1Cookingponerle pimienta aecharle pimienta a
2(pelt)to pepper sth/sb ( with sth) — acribillar algo/a algn ( a algo)
- they peppered him with questions — lo acribillaron a preguntas
3(intersperse)to pepper sth with sth — salpicar algo de algo
- the speech was peppered with anecdotes — el discurso estuvo salpicado de anécdotas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.