In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Not if you were raised on a steady diet of hot rods, muscle cars and performance vehicles.
- A small weight penalty is well worth it for the performance and durability solution gained.
- The machines sharing the work usually come to have different performance capabilities.
- Dublin remains a divided city in terms of academic performance.
- These drills are performed to develop cardio-vascular fitness and muscle power in terms of performance.
- As learners, they may perceive a benefit in terms of application to performance in senior years.
- Since improving health is the defining goal of the health system, we report performance in terms of that goal.
- The operator can notice changes in machine performance and handling to some degree.
- We tested to see if the increased performance met the theoretical speed boost.
- Second, performance collapses very rapidly once the tipping threshold is exceeded.
- Policing performance targets set by the Government are stifling officers' ability to do their job, a report claims.
- Instead, it will rely on factors other than a faster clock speed to improve the performance of its chips.
- The report measures the three key performance targets, which many hospitals across England and Wales failed to hit.
- With this development, significant gains in performance seem to be within reach once again.
- By programming all functionality in the kernel, we can make gains in performance.
- Students believe that the College is hoping to improve academic performance during Michaelmas term.
- This technology offers improved assay performance as well as speed and automation in one system.
- The days of making huge gains in engine performance are behind us now.
- The most recent tests proved very positive in both performance and reliability terms.
- Also, sealing was suspect, so performance dropped rapidly after use in the rain.
- They have been shown to enhance clinical performance in terms of drug dosing and preventive care.
- In terms of overall retail performance, there was no suggestion that the retail sector was in crisis.
- But local health chiefs were warned some of this extra money depends on them meeting tough performance targets.
- The first involves tuning existing structural fiber products to improve performance.
- These products deliver outstanding performance year after year and represent the ultimate in quality.
- A lot of the key building blocks are now in place but have yet to pay off in terms of performance.
- The new franchise runs for eight years and nine months, with the final two years dependent on achieving performance targets.
- While the market's not racing away, it has been fairly solid in terms of performance.
- This will protect it against further market gyrations, but will hamper performance long term.
- In this way, administrators can balance not just capacity but performance as well.
- It puts frequently accessed information into a high performance and a high capacity storage system.
- Will a slower speed device affect performance of a faster device if they are on the same channel?
- I will measure performance in terms of achievement at the top line taking into account how much money we put behind the brands.
- And that too maybe a very big contributor to why these kids are so good in terms of their mathematical performance.
- Police could lose money or be asked to resign if they don't meet strict performance targets set by the Greater Manchester force.
- Technological advancements have delivered major gains in lighting performance.
- Each organization will have its own tolerance level for speed and performance.
- Only the latter two speed up performance while simultaneously enhancing data safety.
- Can the people afford to trust the group with its record of failure in terms of performance and financial management?
- Studies have shown that private pension funds provide the worst performance - even in terms of what they deliver on the stock market.
- Judicial immunity promotes independence by allowing the fearless performance of the judicial function.
- It is addressing a different realm of discourse, namely, performance of judicial functions.
- How do you say it impairs their performance of their functions as judges?
- The leader is a role model to the followers in respect of both task performance and ethical behaviour.
- Their use in Britain, moreover, was often confined to the performance of a single task.
- They require diversion of considerable assets from performance of principal tasks.
- The notion is intended to replace his dichotomy of competence and performance.
1.1(session, live)Theatre representación feminineTheatre función feminineCinema función femininemasculine númeromasculine espectáculothe band/trio will give no more performances in Rome — el grupo/trío no volverá a presentarse en Roma
- the eight o'clock performance is sold out — las entradas para la función de las ocho están agotadas
- in performance — (actuando) en directo
- Back in the 17th and 18th centuries the only performances heard in complete silence were performances of sacred music.
- His radical idea was that whatever sounds listeners heard during the performance constituted the music.
- When I visit on the last day of the symposium, the exhibition is accompanied by outdoor performances of songs and poems.
- At the same time it poses the most fundamental questions about what matters in a performance of a piece of music.
- Four of these were for performers who gave an original performance of a well-known piece of drama or music.
- Although these veteran jazzmen take their music seriously, humor plays a role in their performances.
- Though it took many years to establish the technique of sound on film, live music accompanied public performances.
- Its popularity in 1948 with both schoolchildren and adults saw the Blossom Street picture house bursting at the seams during matinees and evening performances for weeks on end.
- Another commonality between the two stage divas is an emphasis on theatre standards as dramatic performances, not merely nice old songs.
- Traditional recreation involves storytelling and performances of music, dance, and song.
- I would like to thank the young people who worked to put on a wonderful performance of Sound of Music at the Wyvern.
- As if that was not enough they also had to find a way to impress the judges with a two-minute performance set to a piece of music of their own choice.
- Also included in the lineup was a jazz night and on Wednesday night music lovers enjoyed performances which fused classical and trad sounds.
- The concert was the fourth in a series of evening performances organised by the Trustees during 2003.
- The show follows the traditional plot of the fairytale story but with plenty of comedy and slapstick to keep the crowds entertained for both evening and matinee performances.
- It also includes songs and live music performances, although the core of the show is still the Irish folk dance.
- The performances - matinees and evenings most days - will take place within the Tower's courtyards and its gardens near the main house.
- The production includes a large cast with performances in music, dance, song and comedy.
- Highly stylized dramatic performances were accompanied by music.
- Each disc contains three complete music performances, some of which we only see pieces of during the episodes.
- Schools would have to apply for entertainment licences if any performances were attended by members of the public not directly associated with the school or its pupils.
- The dancers present two performances a day - one at around noon and the other at around 8: 00 pm.
- Dances and songs often accompanied the performances.
- It is dedicated to presenting concerts and performances with a meaning.
- It features recordings of performances by the junior and chamber choirs and also instrumental music and solo performances by a number of accomplished musicians and singers.
- All these elements work to infuse a strong sense of being present at the performance for the film spectator.
- When was the last time you sat down in your own home to listen to a full performance of a piece of music, with no other distractions?
- There, pageants and performances could be presented against the authentic background of Clifford's Tower and the Castle Museum buildings.
- A few tickets remain for the matinee performance at 1.30 pm Saturday but the evening performance is sold out.
- He has appeared as a chamber musician with many singers and instrumentalists and has taken part in first performances of many contemporary music pieces.
1.2masculine interpretaciónfeminine representaciónthe twentieth performance of the play — la vigésima representación de la obra
- the first performance of the play — el estreno de la obra
- the first performance of Hamlet by a black actor — la primera vez que un actor negro interpreta a Hamlet
1.3masculine interpretaciónmasculine actuaciónmasculine interpretaciónmasculine actuaciónshe won an Oscar for her performance in the lead role — ganó un Oscar por su interpretación del papel protagónico / por su actuación en el papel protagónico
2masculine rendimientomasculine desempeño Latin Americamasculine rendimientomasculine actuaciónmasculine desempeñofeminine performance Latin Americamasculine comportamientofeminine performance Latin Americaresultadosmasculine rendimientoher performance in the polls/oral exam was good — obtuvo buenos resultados en el sondeo/examen oral
- a high-performance engine — un motor de alto rendimiento
- we have improved our overseas performance — nuestros resultados en el extranjero han mejorado
3formal(fulfillment)masculine ejerciciomasculine desempeñomasculine ejecuciónfeminine realizaciónin the performance of his duties — en el ejercicio / en el desempeño de sus funciones
4informal(fuss, bother)it's such a performance getting the children to bed — da tanto trabajo acostar a los niños
- what a performance! — ¡qué historia!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.