In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mature fruits were collected manually from the ground and the fibrous pericarps were removed using a mechanical dehusker immediately following harvest.
- Fruits had the pericarps removed and the seeds were stratified.
- The enzyme indeed increases during ripening, and is concentrated in the skin and outer pericarp of the fruit.
- Prior to seed germination, the pericarp of a dispersed fruit opens to form a small slit near the stylar end.
- All enzyme assays were performed with naked seeds, i.e. seeds from which the pericarp was removed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.