In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He compares the areas of figures with equal perimeters and volumes of solids with equal surface areas, proving a result due to Zenodorus that the sphere has greater volume than any regular solid with equal surface area.
- Finally, if the rope is short enough (less than half the perimeter of the barn), the problem simplifies immensely.
- The number four, for example, would be the ratio of the perimeter of a square to one of its sides and also the ratio of the area of a square to the area of a square whose side is half the original.
- The square and the cube are abstract, they're mathematical forms, measurements, perimeters, boundaries, mental constructs, and as such, are emotionally unknowable.
- We found that the area, perimeter, length, and width of the lamina were highly correlated, suggesting the existence of a common genetic control.
- Zenodorus studied the area of a figure with a fixed perimeter and the volume of a solid figure with fixed surface.
- It is easier to find a pentagon that circumscribes the same circle as the given square and has the same perimeter.
- The most interesting results show, with a very ingenious proof, that an equilateral triangle has a greater area than any isosceles or scalene triangle with the same perimeter.
- The perimeter of the inner polygon is shorter than the circumference of the circle, while that of the outer polygon is longer.
- You calculate the perimeter by multiplying the diameter by pi.
- Answer: the arc lengths and, therefore, the perimeters are equal.
- Then these rings also have the additional property that both the inner perimeters are equal and the outer perimeters are equal.
2(boundary)perímetro masculinebefore noun the perimeter fence/wire — la valla/la alambrada que cerca el recinto
- After dark I drove the perimeter road and saw more jackals and foxes.
- The court heard how she made off with thousands of pounds worth of holidaymakers' property after scaling the perimeter fence and entering the rooms.
- Burn some sage, and walk the inner perimeter of your room or home if you can.
- About 30 minutes after they had started out, they arrived just beyond the outer perimeter of the lab area.
- There are lots of grasshoppers around here, but my hens patrol the garden perimeter fence and really reduce the numbers of insects in the garden.
- We could walk the entire perimeter of the island in less than an hour.
- For the less energetic, there is a walk around the perimeter racecourse road beginning at 2 pm.
- Surrounding the entire perimeter of the fence was a long line of barbed wire, spiky and foreboding.
- Repeat this until the entire perimeter of the room has been sanded.
- They ran to a perimeter concrete fence and jumped over.
- Most styles can be adapted to meet any pool codes in your area, and provide a safe perimeter fence around your pool.
- Sub-zero temperatures at the complex left the narrow perimeter roads covered in sheet ice, with virtually no grip for the opening cars.
- The only sure way of deterring them is to have an electric fence built around the perimeter of the garden.
- Signs are being placed around airport perimeters urging them to join the cause.
- There were wooded areas beyond the perimeter and alongside one of the streams, but the course itself was mostly just a large empty field.
- He said it was the landlord of the estate who had replaced the perimeter fence around the whole of the industrial area.
- A two-kilometre perimeter fence for the broader area is also planned.
- One is a low-voltage electric fence around the perimeter of your garden.
- I drove around our perimeter road one rainy night and saw lots of little rodents of some type running around.
- A tough protein envelope surrounds the inner perimeter of the cell.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.