In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the novel is of interest only as a period piece — la novela tiene solo interés histórico
- his paintings are charming period pieces — sus cuadros son deliciosas estampas de época
- her car is a period piece — su coche es una pieza de museo
- At that time it was a contemporary drama; now it is a period piece, and the transition is managed with superlative intelligence.
- As a period piece, her book has a weird fascination, but quite why it found its way into print remains a mystery.
- The new version will be a period piece, though it is likely to begin in the present day, with someone setting the scene.
- Curiously - for it is a period piece - a new edition of the book has just been published.
- Both films are period pieces - investigations of milieus - and the journalistic detachment gives the impression that an insider made them, imbuing the films with a creepy, disturbing authority.
- The house was bought in 1969 by an Englishman, who restored it meticulously and furnished it with appropriate period pieces.
- Listening to the tapes, it became obvious their styles were period pieces.
- Visitors are also treated to a two-floor museum containing original and period pieces and over 10,000 historic objects.
- The sleeping area contains a bed and armoire inspired by period pieces from 19th-century France.
- Mostly short, the essays range from period pieces to recent history writing, from the dry to the witty, and from overviews to precise accounts.
- The supply is not endless, so it is a thought as to what will become the period pieces of the future.
- This is a period piece, seeking to recreate the look and feel of those times, from the low contrast bleached out picture to the synthesizer heaven that is the soundtrack.
- If you enjoy historical or period pieces, then this is definitely something you would enjoy.
- My guess - and it's nothing more than that - is that he'll be seen as a period piece.
- Employing 8,000 extras and 12,000 costumes, the period piece, not surprisingly, was the most expensive Korean production ever.
- Although period pieces in terms of technology, many of these books contain sensible - and timeless - advice.
- I'm not a fan of the period pieces, but I really warmed up to it and, quite frankly, I loved it.
- Elbowing in on their act, of course, are those unique artist who dress in a period piece and then stand in one position for what seems time eternal.
- The vast majority were period pieces, costume melodramas, comedies, and films of a nonpolitical nature.
- By the 1980s, these texts had become period pieces of demonstrable intellectual shallowness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.