In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hierba doncella femininevincapervinca feminine
- I painted cream-colored ivy and periwinkle flowers on the Lincoln green wood.
- I found periwinkles and primroses in full flower, bluebells, just coming along nicely thank you, grape hyacinths, and polyanthus.
- You can even plant periwinkle, bugle and ground ivy in the gaps in your log or rock pile - this could make a fun project for an older child.
- We make our way carefully through the periwinkle, a little wild patch of lilies of the valley, and some vicious canes of blackberry.
- Like Mexican heather, periwinkles are tender.
- The corolla of the normal periwinkle flower is salver-shaped and the stamens are located in the throat of the corolla tube.
- We crept close to a house, knelt into monkey grass or button weed or periwinkle, and looked through the lighted windows.
- At the base of a tree, for example, you might have better luck with wood chips or shade-loving ornamental plants like ivy, periwinkle, or pachysandra.
- Here the interior is inlaid with millions of beautiful shells, scallops, paloudres, clams, periwinkles, mussels, oysters and rogans.
- In Galway Bay, Ireland, a live limpet or periwinkle used to be placed at the corners of the house to ensure successful fishing.
- Crabs are a particular favourite of mine - shore crabs are numerous, and every other periwinkle shell seems to harbour a hermit crab.
- The fish in this dish consists of whatever the fishermen caught earlier that morning - usually prawns, mussels, periwinkles, cod and sometimes octopus.
- In 1881, a thunderstorm in Worcester brought down tons of periwinkles and hermit crabs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.