In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1permiso masculinewith/without my permission — con/sin mi permiso
- you'll need written permission — necesitas un permiso escrito
- she gave me permission — me dio (su) permiso
- you can't do it without asking (her) permission — no puedes hacerlo sin pedirle permiso
- you have my permission — te doy permiso
- permission to speak, sir? — permiso para hablar, mi capitán (or mi teniente etc.)
- do I have your permission to go ahead with the plan? — ¿me da su permiso / autorización para poner en marcha el plan?
- by permission of the author — con permiso / autorización del autor
- The full chapter is reprinted here by permission of the author.
- Interviews were conducted by telephone, with parents' prior permission, across the country.
- But outline permission was granted for a major housing development with only a small proportion of retail.
- We've all heard of cases where people who should have got planning permission have been refused.
- But outline planning permission was granted anyway in the face of opposition.
- They are reprinted verbatim with the permission of the publisher.
- The article is published with the permission of the publisher.
- But, keep in mind, viewers would have to give their permission first.
- Some local farmers, without obtaining government permission, were setting up distilleries in their small farmhouses.
- He wants to marry her, but decides to get Dad's permission first.
- He said that they have to get permission from the minister to allow civilians to use it.
- Diving in the lake is strictly prohibited without special permission from the authorities.
- Last year there was the restriction that they seek prior permission of the police before embarking on fund raising rounds.
- The excerpts used here are reprinted by permission.
- His father was given permission to see him only once but was not allowed to talk to his son.
- The decision went against the advice of the board's own planning inspector who recommended that permission be refused.
- However, the decision whether to give permission to appeal is one for the Immigration Appeal Tribunal.
- You need special permission from the authorities to do so.
- No adverts or signs are to be erected on the property unless prior planning permission is granted.
- He said the council would clear the drains with the permission of the landowner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.