In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But it's a pernickety view for a dating agency to take.
- At last, those of us who are pernickety about our food can come out of the closet.
- But is a rescue really the time and place to become pernickety?
- I thought he was just being pernickety, but I'll not argue in future.
- This is partly due to the demands of an increasingly pernickety international audience ‘who get easily bored.’
- She is no longer pernickety about her house and her possessions.
- This is especially important for veggie or fussy diners who are pernickety about kitchen hygiene or the authenticity of their dishes.
- That was how pernickety she was when it came to driving.
- Needless to say, there were a few of my pernickety readers who were quick to point out the folly of my ways.
- I do not wish to seem unduly pernickety but the point may have some relevance in future cases.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.