In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We should also be targeting the source of the problem: repressive governments which persecute their own citizens.
- He was martyred after refusing to persecute Christians and became a patron saint of soldiers.
- Besides, almost all of them are already old and they're the last people persecuted for political reasons.
- During Bulgaria's communist period, his followers were persecuted by the authorities.
- We see a dictator using force to repress and persecute his opponents.
- Asylum will be given to people who are persecuted for their beliefs.
- One of these is that millions of people around the world die or are severely persecuted for their beliefs.
- The Huguenots were French Protestants who had been persecuted for their faith.
- The Jews - among other minorities - were persecuted by the Nazis.
- Morality demands that the will of the majority should not prevail where a minority is persecuted purely because of religion or race.
- Many have been harassed or persecuted in their own countries for political or religious reasons.
- The Muslim population claims it was systematically persecuted for its religion by the Greek Orthodox majority.
- The bond was strengthened because individuals persecuted by the authorities could seek succor and solace from the Church.
- The cultists feel that they are being persecuted unfairly.
- She claims she has been persecuted because of her religious beliefs.
- For hundreds of years, the Jews have been persecuted in many countries.
- He believes himself unjustly persecuted and discriminated against.
- Are they being persecuted on the grounds of race?
- When persecuted by the government, they have fled to the central highlands from the north.
- Both of them were persecuted relentlessly for their beliefs.
2(pester, tease)molestarincordiar Spain informal
- Last week we witnessed two fine examples of the extent to which anti-smoking zealots will go in order to hound and persecute smokers.
- Isn't it disgraceful the way they're persecuting the poor guy?
- Local authorities should concentrate on providing services to the public not persecuting honest shopkeepers.
- For three years after DNA evidence proved his innocence, the authorities persisted in persecuting him.
- The police are too busy persecuting and harassing motorists.
- I hope that you and the people will reserve judgment on me until the newspaper is done persecuting me.
- The persecuted, bullied and misunderstood see a kindred spirit.
- We are not in the business of persecuting our members because the state considers someone guilty.
- Lone parents, disabled people and the long term unemployed are harried and persecuted.
- I have the greatest admiration for the man and there is no question of persecuting him.
- They are doing the opposite by picking on them and by persecuting people more than they have for years.
- The moral is: persecuting farmers is not the way to have lower food prices, nor is it the way to make farm income lower than other forms of income.
- In July, he confronted her about the investigation, accusing her of persecuting him, and demanding to know how she had any right to continue the investigation.
- The most common symptom of paranoia is the belief that someone or something is persecuting you.
- They were looked down upon but generally not actively persecuted.
- Totalitarian governments love these kind of laws that make everyone a potential criminal, so that authorities can legally justify persecuting anyone they don't like.
- We are not out for prosecution or persecuting people, we just want people to see reason we want them to adhere to the speed limit.
- It's just a pathetic mind game played by lefty town planners who get their kicks by persecuting motorists, because of course, we're all evil.
- Persecuting the poor guy isn't going to make him feel very good either.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.