In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both of them were persecuted relentlessly for their beliefs.
- Are they being persecuted on the grounds of race?
- The cultists feel that they are being persecuted unfairly.
- We see a dictator using force to repress and persecute his opponents.
- She claims she has been persecuted because of her religious beliefs.
- For hundreds of years, the Jews have been persecuted in many countries.
- He was martyred after refusing to persecute Christians and became a patron saint of soldiers.
- Morality demands that the will of the majority should not prevail where a minority is persecuted purely because of religion or race.
- When persecuted by the government, they have fled to the central highlands from the north.
- We should also be targeting the source of the problem: repressive governments which persecute their own citizens.
- During Bulgaria's communist period, his followers were persecuted by the authorities.
- The Huguenots were French Protestants who had been persecuted for their faith.
- The Jews - among other minorities - were persecuted by the Nazis.
- Many have been harassed or persecuted in their own countries for political or religious reasons.
- Asylum will be given to people who are persecuted for their beliefs.
- He believes himself unjustly persecuted and discriminated against.
- One of these is that millions of people around the world die or are severely persecuted for their beliefs.
- The bond was strengthened because individuals persecuted by the authorities could seek succor and solace from the Church.
- The Muslim population claims it was systematically persecuted for its religion by the Greek Orthodox majority.
- Besides, almost all of them are already old and they're the last people persecuted for political reasons.
2(pester, tease)molestarincordiar Spain informal
- I hope that you and the people will reserve judgment on me until the newspaper is done persecuting me.
- They were looked down upon but generally not actively persecuted.
- I have the greatest admiration for the man and there is no question of persecuting him.
- In July, he confronted her about the investigation, accusing her of persecuting him, and demanding to know how she had any right to continue the investigation.
- Local authorities should concentrate on providing services to the public not persecuting honest shopkeepers.
- Totalitarian governments love these kind of laws that make everyone a potential criminal, so that authorities can legally justify persecuting anyone they don't like.
- It's just a pathetic mind game played by lefty town planners who get their kicks by persecuting motorists, because of course, we're all evil.
- Isn't it disgraceful the way they're persecuting the poor guy?
- The persecuted, bullied and misunderstood see a kindred spirit.
- They are doing the opposite by picking on them and by persecuting people more than they have for years.
- The moral is: persecuting farmers is not the way to have lower food prices, nor is it the way to make farm income lower than other forms of income.
- The most common symptom of paranoia is the belief that someone or something is persecuting you.
- For three years after DNA evidence proved his innocence, the authorities persisted in persecuting him.
- Lone parents, disabled people and the long term unemployed are harried and persecuted.
- We are not out for prosecution or persecuting people, we just want people to see reason we want them to adhere to the speed limit.
- Last week we witnessed two fine examples of the extent to which anti-smoking zealots will go in order to hound and persecute smokers.
- Persecuting the poor guy isn't going to make him feel very good either.
- The police are too busy persecuting and harassing motorists.
- We are not in the business of persecuting our members because the state considers someone guilty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.