In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A general persecution of the democratic leaders took place.
- The Israeli leadership does not need justification for further persecution.
- The Emperor Marcus Aurelius died in 181, and the Church was little troubled by persecution for the following twenty years.
- Under the 1996 laws, asylum seekers fleeing persecution are now held behind bars.
- He claims to fear persecution by reason of his involvement with student politics in Bangladesh during the 1990s.
- Violence, war, poverty, unemployment, crime or persecution drive many others to escape.
- Think about someone convicted by a kangaroo court with faceless judges moving to the UK to escape further persecution.
- The Appellant maintains that he fears persecution by the state for political or imputed political reasons.
- No refugee would be able to flee from their country of persecution without first joining the mythical queue to apply for a protection visa.
- Most of the persecution in Iraq has been at local level.
- Designation does not mean that the country is considered to be universally safe or free from persecution.
- In the late 1990s, however, the Hazaras faced extreme persecution under the Taliban.
- Later, during the time of the Crusades, messianic expectation increased as Jews faced persecution and death.
- He was by no means the only man of letters of his time who had to submit to something like persecution.
- They came mostly from areas of the Russian empire where religious persecution was common.
- In the sixteenth chapter, Gibbon examinees the persecution of Christians by several Roman emperors.
- Coupled with the plague, the persecution of the Jews nearly wiped out entire communities.
- This, then, was the occasion of the first persecution of Christians under the Roman Empire.
- The indigenous Christian community is only two million strong and faces persecution from Islamic militants.
- The basis for the modern State of Israel is the persecution of the Jewish people, which is undeniable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.