In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The play looks at the star whose private life was a complete contrast to his public persona.
- The line between ‘us’ and ‘them’ became the line between an individual's public and private personas.
- The public personas of Shawn and Cole differed markedly, however.
- Supposedly, the point is that the public can see the people behind the public persona.
- However, remember the public persona and the private person are two very different people.
- On the contrary, the Kaiser's perceived public and private persona was one of these problems.
- The tendency is to build acceptable traits into the persona and to keep unacceptable traits hidden or repressed.
- Now that the two have exposed their repressed animosity toward each other, there's an added layer of drama and intrigue to their public personas.
- In a culture that places a premium on media exposure, it is no surprise that men and women who are seen by millions daily have a public persona.
- Many people have stated how the persona they present on their blog, while being largely true, is only part of their real selves.
- The public personae of Lincoln and Grant have undergone similar fates.
- When a famous person promotes a foodstuff, their public persona acquires a nurturing, human edge.
- One thing it's important to remember with all of these people - their public personas, their public writings, are to a great degree a pose.
- Here is a performer whose personal tragedies have always informed her public persona.
- Some say Luke's present and past personas are inconsistent; I say they are perfectly consistent.
- This persona I present to you all on here, while in many ways that of my own, is also of that someone else I'd like to be.
- His public persona has been moulded and redefined so as to render him acceptable to all.
- It was only after several years of painting celebs that I thought I could paint regular people whose personas weren't public and well-known.
- The public personas of some writers cut a wide swath through the publishing world.
- Some commenters find this problematic, pointing out that people present different personas to different people, depending on the situation.
2plural personae /-niː/(character)personaje masculine
- As a writer drawing on this experience, I seem able to take different perspectives on board and I am comfortable adopting a range of personae.
- Take every opportunity you can to perform in front of others and develop your stage persona.
- It becomes hectic with the same actors changing persona within seconds.
- The narrating persona admits that he cannot understand the unformed mind of the younger man he is describing.
- First is their ability to adopt different personas.
- When credit and responsibility are at issue, gatekeepers try and fall back upon supposedly stable older personas of the ‘author’ to restore some decorum.
- Just as he acquired more than one name, so he had different roles and personae.
- For years he's adopted personae to tell stories in songs.
- Stand-up is less about the material and more about confidence, authority and having a consistent persona.
- Since then she's taken on many personas in various stories and role plays.
- In all six films he adopts six different personas, which is something he enjoys about the character.
- There's nothing there where the characters should be, not even the actor's star personas.
- Their roles and personas can differ with the production, combination and utilisation of selected characterisations: in other words, creators are created.
- There's nothing worse than a musician or an actor who will only do interviews as their stage persona.
- I thought I'd make the most of it and adopt a more sinister persona for three or four performances.
- There is no doubt that each actor carefully projects their characters' personas with deliberate intent.
- The writing is crisp, making the characters realistic personas despite their larger-than-life roles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.