In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1formalexamen masculinecareful perusal of the deeds revealed … — un detenido examen / una detenida lectura de la escritura reveló …
- I enclose the document for your perusal — le adjunto el documento para que lo examine
- He set it back on the wooden plate and continued his perusal of the records.
- For those of a philosophical bent, my results are posted below for your perusal.
- After lengthy perusal of the instructions, I managed to change the green neon clocks on the video, the hi-fi and the cooker.
- A selection of videos in the lounge awaited our perusal.
- Archives and libraries and museums have any amount of information and documents available for perusal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.