In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1obstinadotercoretorcidoavieso literaryshe takes a perverse delight in upsetting me — siente un placer malsano dándome disgustos
- So his decision to show the way last night smacked of a perverse desire to prove something to himself and the world.
- His considerable powers of concentration served to amplify the more extreme, uncompromising, even perverse, aspects of his personality.
- There is, however, an inflexibility and perverse bias already present in the environing world, and it's this which defamiliarises and removes our projects from us.
- I'm one of these perverse people who will deliberately take a spite against something, just because everyone else likes it.
- But I have this perverse desire to be shaved with a cut-throat razor - by an expert.
- I always have this perverse but burning desire to be scared, and it's hard for me to achieve this goal simply because it's hard for me to get scared.
- His decision to work in mezzotint was partly perverse, as it was an antiquated medium so labor-intensive that it was only rarely practiced.
- It seems his muse, once so pliable, has become perverse and wilful: I commiserate.
- But he admits to sharing one trait with his crumpled creation: he's wilfully perverse.
- The example du jour is his persistent, some might say perverse desire to ram roads through some of our last old-growth forests.
- Instead of being taken aback, he felt a perverse obstinacy rise up inside him.
- Also, I'm so stubborn and perverse that her rudeness just made me more determined to get to know her.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.