In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Throughout the conversation, Blondel expressed a deep pessimism about the future.
- I believed that no situation could be made better by pessimism or worry.
- Invariably over the next couple of weeks there will be bouts of optimism and pessimism in world financial markets.
- We have found that a deliberative mindset induced greater realism and not more pessimism.
- In this peculiarly modern mood of social pessimism, the end is believed to be nigh but never comes.
- To recognize that war is inevitable is not pessimism, but political realism.
- But just because the mood of social pessimism is so ubiquitous does not mean we should simply accept it.
- That guarded optimism has been replaced by downright pessimism because the bottom of the decline is still not in sight.
- The birth rate is the lowest in Europe, reflecting deep pessimism about the future and the astonishingly high cost of housing.
- Optimism turns to pessimism and a growing sense of helplessness, however, as funds are depleted and rejection letters arrive.
- Yet there is reason to believe that the pessimism about the East German economy is overdone.
- To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism.
- There's no cause for pessimism, we should believe in ourselves and use that self-belief to choose now and irrevocably the path of reform.
- At the same time, public pessimism about the future of health systems is growing.
- The same markets that were enormously hyped a year ago are now the subject of deep pessimism.
- Its uncertain start has only confirmed Scottish pessimism about the possibility of change.
- Despite my pessimism I still believe that the situation can be resolved.
- Why is it that every new cinematic vision of the future is bathed in pessimism and bleakness?
- Official optimism was replaced by a searching and comparatively realistic pessimism.
- The deep pessimism which infects the classic Cold War novel gives way to a complacence born of the hero's capacity to survive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.