In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Why is it that every new cinematic vision of the future is bathed in pessimism and bleakness?
- The birth rate is the lowest in Europe, reflecting deep pessimism about the future and the astonishingly high cost of housing.
- Despite my pessimism I still believe that the situation can be resolved.
- But just because the mood of social pessimism is so ubiquitous does not mean we should simply accept it.
- Invariably over the next couple of weeks there will be bouts of optimism and pessimism in world financial markets.
- To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism.
- Throughout the conversation, Blondel expressed a deep pessimism about the future.
- The same markets that were enormously hyped a year ago are now the subject of deep pessimism.
- Yet there is reason to believe that the pessimism about the East German economy is overdone.
- To recognize that war is inevitable is not pessimism, but political realism.
- In this peculiarly modern mood of social pessimism, the end is believed to be nigh but never comes.
- We have found that a deliberative mindset induced greater realism and not more pessimism.
- I believed that no situation could be made better by pessimism or worry.
- Optimism turns to pessimism and a growing sense of helplessness, however, as funds are depleted and rejection letters arrive.
- At the same time, public pessimism about the future of health systems is growing.
- There's no cause for pessimism, we should believe in ourselves and use that self-belief to choose now and irrevocably the path of reform.
- That guarded optimism has been replaced by downright pessimism because the bottom of the decline is still not in sight.
- Its uncertain start has only confirmed Scottish pessimism about the possibility of change.
- Official optimism was replaced by a searching and comparatively realistic pessimism.
- The deep pessimism which infects the classic Cold War novel gives way to a complacence born of the hero's capacity to survive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.