In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Farmingplaga femininebefore noun pest control — (of rats) desratización feminine
- The rice field rat in particular is a real pest in south east Asia and we have colleagues working on that problem in the Philippines and Indonesia.
- Another problem that troubled Zhu was pests, such as mosquitoes, flies and rats.
- The biological control of insect pests by using spiders as predators is being studied in four districts of Kerala.
- Spider mites, mealy worms and scale are insect pests that are attracted to orchids.
- The single most destructive insect pest for Eastern growers - the infamous plum curculio - is unknown in the West.
- Wildlife and beneficial birds return to help keep down insects and other pests.
- Diversity is prized by scientists as a hedge against diseases, pests and climate change.
- Fox is not considered a pest but an asset by any real country person unless they are cruel sport supporters or make a few bob from the fur trade.
- Birds are the only real garden pests that will come between you and your fair share of seeds.
- Growing the right herbs and flowers with your crops encourages beneficial insects and natural predators to control pests.
- Less genetic diversity means less resistance to pests, diseases and climate changes.
- How do I get rid of these annoying pests without destroying my other foliage or the oak tree?
- Soil insect pests are generally more of a problem on corn and soybeans than on small grains and forages.
- Even a normal seed requires two years of trials and tests to ensure that new diseases and pests are not introduced.
- From what you say, it sounds as though these insects or spiders are casual intruders, and what we would consider a nuisance rather than a true pest.
- Mycoinsecticides are fungal sprays that work on insect pests from the inside out.
- For success in controlling nematode pests in tomatoes, plant marigolds with them.
- Synthetic pesticides sprayed on crops to check insect pests also kill non-target insects.
- Ministers are going to great lengths to point out that the deer is a fine animal, and must not be viewed as a pest or a nuisance.
- Slugs and snails were relegated from top spot to third place in the list of the most troublesome garden pests for 2003.
2informal(person, thing)peste feminine informal
- He still looked at her as the annoying pest with pigtails.
- They said that he was an annoyance and a pest to have around and ask favors of.
- I have a little brother, the most annoying pest there is; he seems to have never heard about the word privacy.
- At times he can be really sincere, but until you get to know him he's a real pest.
- He didn't want her to think of him as an annoying pest.
- Now the camel and its driver had lost it economic value and became a nuisance and a pest.
- Arthur is a troublesome pest who continually annoys people.
- A drug addict dubbed by a judge a ‘thorough pest and nuisance to society’ has walked free from court.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.