In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Either the folk had died in the fire, died of the pestilence, or fled at first breath of either.
- The physician's challenge is the curing of disease, educating the people in the laws of health, and preventing the spread of plagues and pestilences.
- He argues that there is clear evidence for the pestilence having been plague, rather than other diseases that have been suggested such as anthrax.
- He ordered the nearby swamps and marshes in the city of Salinus to be drained, in order to prevent an unknown pestilence, probably malaria.
- The pestilence that destroyed so much of our agriculture industry has left a long shadow, and no one would claim that everything today is back to normal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.