- Either the folk had died in the fire, died of the pestilence, or fled at first breath of either.
- The physician's challenge is the curing of disease, educating the people in the laws of health, and preventing the spread of plagues and pestilences.
- He argues that there is clear evidence for the pestilence having been plague, rather than other diseases that have been suggested such as anthrax.
- He ordered the nearby swamps and marshes in the city of Salinus to be drained, in order to prevent an unknown pestilence, probably malaria.
- The pestilence that destroyed so much of our agriculture industry has left a long shadow, and no one would claim that everything today is back to normal.