1(animal)animal doméstico masculineanimal de compañía masculinemascota femininehave you got any pets? — ¿tienen mascotas?
- pet owner — propietaria de animal doméstico
- pet store / (British) shop — tienda de animales domésticos
- Keep your birds separate from wild birds, waterfowl, pets and other animals.
- Gamekeepers set illegal snares that injure and kill other animals, including foxes, rabbits, and birds of prey - even domestic pets.
- Most pets and domesticated animals receive vaccinations against rabies.
- In our own survey of pet owners nearly three quarters felt that some sort of bereavement support was useful when a pet dies and nearly half said they would be prepared to pay for it.
- Cats, fish, and sometimes singing birds are reared as pets by Malay families.
- And, again, no one should buy birds as a pet unless they're bred domestically.
- There is also a large aquarium trade, supplying animals both as pets and as food for fish and amphibians.
- Now, the centre is home to a whole range of animals, including domestic pets like cats and dogs.
- Be aware that injured animals, even tame pets will bite savagely if given a chance.
- I'm not sure if people look like their pets, but you can tell a lot about a person by what they look for in a pet.
- Domestic cats are highly valued as pets and as working animals throughout the world.
- His pet or ‘companion animal’ has been an essential part of his life.
- Alternatively, other owners are reluctant to have a pet put to sleep either for religious reasons, or perhaps because that animal is the last link they have with their deceased spouse.
- As the city grows, and cats become more popular as domestic pets, the number of animals living rough increases.
- In her words, ‘anyone who has owned and loved a pet would agree that in terms of emotional trauma, watching the death of a pet is akin to losing a close relative.’
- Today, over a million pets and farm animals worldwide have RFID tags in or on them, so Rover or Daisy can easily be tracked if they wander off.
- For personnel of the Emergency Rescue Team of the Fire Services and Rescue Department, rescuing pets and domesticated animals is nothing new.
- Both domestic animals and pets have important roles in our lives.
- Domestic pets are the source of most non-insect animal bites.
- Veterinarian Astrid Behr also recommends a bird as a pet rather than a guinea pig or other smaller animal.
2(favorite)he's teacher's pet — es el niño mimado de la maestra
3informal(term of endearment)cielo informal
- ‘Best not to anger the boss, pet,’ he said, then reached down to give her a light kiss before rising to his feet.
- Ask them to help you cross the road, or to take you down to the post office, or to put the kettle on, pet.
- I'd like you to choose a card, my pet, and then read out what it says and tell the studio audience and our viewers at home what act you'll be performing for us this evening in our star turn final.
- And when you have something to say that comes anywhere near an opinion, keep it to yourself, pet!
- ‘Welcome to St. Vincent, pet,’ Nick side, stretching out and arm to the scene below.
1(kept as pet)her pet lamb — el corderito que tiene en casa / que tiene de mascota
2(favorite)(subject/theory) favorito(theory/subject) preferidohistory is my pet hate — lo que más odio es la historia
1(animal) acariciar(animal) mimar
- Placed on the aluminium table, the kitten is petted, briefly, to reduce the shivering, and then, with four tiny ‘miuw!’
- Joann tried to keep herself from laughing when she noticed the raven's look, meanwhile continuing to pet the mare, stroking the animal's chestnut hip.
- There is a dog who barks unless she is petted continuously, so people take turns petting her.
- The Prince started to pet his horse, stroking the hair gently with almost some humanity.
- We stayed there for about 20 minutes, talking to him and petting him, scratching him behind his ears and neck.
- A little dog tied up outside of Chin's is lonely, but people stop now and then to pet him and tell him how cute he is.
- She smiled softly, petting her cat Sea Monkey gently.
- She pet her cat affectionately and turned on the TV while she waited for Brett to come home from work.
- The kitten looks glad at the attention, but seems more interested at Mierre than at the hand petting her.
- He's not the kind of dog that will let you pet him, but with the people he knows and trusts, he's clingy.
- Heather was sitting on the floor across from Dan petting the family's old blood hound.
- She loves attention, and loves to lick your hand when you pet her.
- And there was a beautiful doe that put her head through the wire fence so I could pet her, never mind that she didn't like the grass I had picked for her.
- I don't pet her too much, as I've already worked out that there's only so much petting a pet can handle before it runs off again.
- And if you don't believe it's therapeutic to pet a dog, then you haven't given it a good try.
- Clouseau bends down to pet the dog and it growls and bites him.
- Valia shook her head in confusion and started to pet her canine companion.
- I got up and went to pet her but she was having none of it, pulled back, turned, and darted back into the airing cupboard again.
- I picked him up, placed him on my lap and wrapped the towel around him, murmuring sweet things to him, petting him.
- Do not look at, talk to, pet, feed, play or let out your dog or cat when it is in the act of misbehaving.
- Cael was silent a moment, just petting Sam, before he slowly shifted to sit on the edge of the bed.
- Ian's eyes opened lethargically, Susan said nothing and Geneva did not cease gawking at him, Calypso jumped from her arms after Geneva stopped petting her.
- She had been petting Roy who was sleeping next to her, but when Tony sat down he took her hand in hers.
- He takes a look towards his mother, who is fuming, but petting Jeremy on the head.
- She said that at the end of the school day Jack makes his way to the playground where he is petted and spoilt by the children.
1(temper)to get into a pet — enfurruñarse
- Women get all in a pet that Sorenstam doesn't receive the adulation Tiger Woods does.