In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gasolina femininebencina feminine Andesnafta feminine River Platepetrol (filler) cap — tapa del depósito / tanque de gasolina feminine
- petrol tanker — camión cisterna
- Hybrid cars powered by ethanol and petrol are now outselling traditional petrol-engined vehicles in Brazil.
- Meanwhile, Asda slashed three to four pence per litre off its unleaded petrol and 2p per litre off diesel.
- So, motorists hoping that the use of ethanol in petrol will cut their fuel bills are set to be disappointed.
- LPG, in fact, is stated to be a cleaner fuel than petrol or diesel, as it cannot be adulterated.
- Protesters also threw objects such as bottles, sometimes lit with petrol, and rocks.
- Diesel fuel costing more than petrol makes Britain unique in Europe.
- For the first time in this segment, Kia will offer customers a choice of petrol and diesel engines.
- Alas, I have a shock for Mr Hepworth if he thinks cars and any other vehicles using petrol or diesel will become extinct when the oil runs out.
- In Brazil, for example, half of all cars can now take either petrol or ethanol, which is produced from sugar.
- Rather than using petrol and benzene as the fuel, these bombs use paraffin-based jet fuel.
- The price of petrol, diesel and kerosene has gone up four times since February.
- Tar is soluble in fossil fuels like diesel and petrol and oil spill loosens the road surface and potholes begin to form.
- Higher oil prices have added to the cost of petrol, diesel, kerosene and gas as well as transport.
- The global thirst for petrol and other oil products shows no sign of slowing
- The cost of filling up with petrol has fuelled endless controversy. Is petrol in the UK the most expensive in Europe?
- The Prius runs on electricity and petrol by combining an internal combustion engine with an electric motor.
- The engine and generator are missing but when they are replaced they will use diesel and not petrol as fuel.
- These tiny ships fuelled by high octane petrol, were made of wood and had a top speed of just twelve knots.
- Like the rest of Europe, however, prices of unleaded petrol and diesel have soared over the last few months.
- The octane rating of petrol tells how much a given fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.