In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estación de servicio femininegasolinera femininebomba feminine Andes Venezuelaestación de nafta feminine River Platebencinera feminine Andesgrifo masculine Peru
- After this I washed the car manually using the jet wash thing in the petrol station near Mcdonalds.
- There was actually traffic at the main junction, and I had to queue for service at the petrol station.
- They had helped push it to a petrol station to get some fuel before he drove off without paying.
- We stop at the last petrol station before France to fill up on diesel and there is an argument in progress at the till.
- The store applied for an alcohol licence to cover not only the supermarket shelves, but also the shop at the petrol station.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.