In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(underskirt)enagua femininefondo masculine Mexico
- After the corset episode, I slipped on a stiff wide hoop skirt and two white petticoats on top of it.
- At the bottom of the trunk she found a set of white undergarments including lacy petticoats and a full corseted bodice.
- The women wore dresses with many petticoats, gloves on their hands, and bonnets or hats on their heads.
- Lydie wore several extra petticoats under her dress and over it was a warm peacoat.
- Meanwhile, Caroline Bates nearly set the catwalk on fire with her 50s-inspired creations featuring huge flower prints on A-line skirts worn over taffeta petticoats.
- I have always felt more comfortable in skirts and dresses and slips and petticoats.
- She swiftly pulled on the tunic, then the stockings, the corset, petticoats, skirt and boots.
- Elizabeth had only gone a little ways into the trees beyond her house when her stays and petticoat lead to her ruin and Will caught her.
- She raised her skirts to above her knees, allowing her petticoats and lace stockings to show, but time was of the essence.
- She clapped her hands three times and in walked half a dozen servant girls, carrying undergarments and petticoats.
- Kirby grabbed the sword at Jason's side and ran, tripping on the skirts and petticoats of her dress.
- The gown had small puffy sleeves that were off the shoulder, and a multitude of petticoats made the skirt more full and rustled when the girl walked.
- The undergarments included stockings, petticoats, drawers, and a corset.
- Layers of stiff net petticoats went under taffeta strapless dresses that made waists look tiny.
- White work in clothing is seen in petticoats, camisoles, waistcoats, caps, baby garments, and cloaks.
- She removed eight petticoats, a corset and silk stockings; finally she stood in just her white linen shift and several pounds of jewelry.
- But that was still two weeks off, and Taira was still dressed in pinafores and petticoats, though now she was where fur shawls in a desperate fight to keep out the cold.
- It consists of a madras head-tie and a skirt with lace petticoats draped at the sides.
- The dress is obviously white but has layers of petticoats beneath the skirt making it poof out.
- There was a wardrobe in the corner of the room where I could hang my gowns and a dark-stained dresser sat by the vanity table where I could keep all of my petticoats and other such undergarments.
2British(slip)combinación feminineviso masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.