In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The levator veli palatini muscle, which elevates the soft palate, is innervated by a pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
- The muscular walls of the pharynx constitute three overlapping sheets of striated muscle, the pharyngeal constrictors.
- Combined stimulation of the hypoglossus branch and pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve produced significant interactions between pressure and stimulation in the caudal oropharynx.
- The hypoglossal and glossopharyngeal nerves innervate pharyngeal dilator muscles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.