In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(achievement/success) espectacular(achievement/success) extraordinario(strength) increíble
- Just to play in the Open would have been amazing, but to play in front of such a phenomenal crowd was tremendous.
- When WFCAM is scanning the sky it will produce images at a phenomenal rate.
- His work rate has been, at times, nothing short of phenomenal, particularly for England.
- These great performances are supplemented by quite breathtaking visuals of a phenomenal quality.
- What I also know about John is that he has a phenomenal will to win and takes the game incredibly seriously.
- It was a phenomenal success and played to capacity crowds at many venues.
- The effort by teachers, parents, pupils and the general public was phenomenal.
- I know 10 have been penalties but he's won most of them taking people on, and his work rate has been phenomenal.
- Over the four days he was quite breathtaking and it was wonderful to sit back and admire such phenomenal skill.
- The mites breed at a phenomenal rate in soft furnishings such as pillows and mattresses.
- Yet despite this phenomenal strike rate of nearly a goal every two games, nobody has really taken any notice.
- I'm here, reluctantly, to find out what's behind the phenomenal rise in the sales of male make-up.
- As a result, the music has plenty of breathing space for the phenomenal basslines to move around.
- I did this gig to 4,000 people on Sunday night and got a standing ovation and the noise and energy were phenomenal.
- The crowds have flocked back, the feel-good factor has been phenomenal.
- Breath was going in and out of her at a phenomenal rate and she found herself in a cold sweat.
- To pay for this programme we should put a tax on office building, which has gone up at a phenomenal rate.
- We had phenomenal cars, fantastic drivers and exciting races - who could ask for more from a race meeting?
- He is leaving established international acts in the shade and is chalking up phenomenal album sales.
- His scoring rate was phenomenal and he is definitely one of the jewels in Tipperary's crown.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.