In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Though he started philately as a hobby during his school days and collected many stamps, lack of penpals plus adequate finances prevented him from pursuing it vigorously.
- However, he rues that the increased denomination of stamps has now made philately an expensive proposition.
- The number of commemorative stamps issued has increased rapidly since World War II, in response to the improvements in printing techniques that have allowed greater variety of design, and to the growth of philately as a hobby.
- A keen coin and stamp collector as well as a dealer in rare stamps and ancient coins, he avers that philately has become a rich-man's hobby.
- In an effort to popularise philately, the bureau has made provisions for a thematic display of stamps of members of the club.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.