In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Rhys's linguistic speculations may now be largely out-dated, but the Lectures on Welsh Philology helped put the study of philology, in particular the philology of the Welsh language, on a secure academic basis.
- Having mastered Sanskrit, he translated parts of Indian classics including the scriptures (the Veda) and laid the foundations for comparative philology.
- Both a study in philology and a history of ideas, The American Language continued in the tradition of Webster and Whitman to defend American English against its detractors.
- The main linguistic tool employed for reconstructing languages is the comparative method or comparative philology, first developed by Sir William Jones, an Englishman living in India.
- In philology, our Sanskrit language is now universally acknowledged to be the foundation of all European languages, which, in fact, are nothing but jargonized Sanskrit.
- In philology a hapax legomenon is almost always a word and is a problem because a single usage doesn't generally give us enough information to figure out what it means.
- The German-inspired academic study of philology was coming into fashion and influenced language observation methods in Africa.
- Probably, during these years, he began studying the philology of the Polish language at Warsaw University.
- Jones argued that one could compare cognate terms and infer a historical relationship between languages and this has become the foundation of modern philology.
- Poetry and its handmaidens, philology, the study of language history, of grammar, all of those disciplines are the great disciplines of that culture at that period of time in particular.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.