- Probably, during these years, he began studying the philology of the Polish language at Warsaw University.
- Poetry and its handmaidens, philology, the study of language history, of grammar, all of those disciplines are the great disciplines of that culture at that period of time in particular.
- The main linguistic tool employed for reconstructing languages is the comparative method or comparative philology, first developed by Sir William Jones, an Englishman living in India.
- The German-inspired academic study of philology was coming into fashion and influenced language observation methods in Africa.
- In philology, our Sanskrit language is now universally acknowledged to be the foundation of all European languages, which, in fact, are nothing but jargonized Sanskrit.
- In philology a hapax legomenon is almost always a word and is a problem because a single usage doesn't generally give us enough information to figure out what it means.
- Having mastered Sanskrit, he translated parts of Indian classics including the scriptures (the Veda) and laid the foundations for comparative philology.
- Jones argued that one could compare cognate terms and infer a historical relationship between languages and this has become the foundation of modern philology.
- Rhys's linguistic speculations may now be largely out-dated, but the Lectures on Welsh Philology helped put the study of philology, in particular the philology of the Welsh language, on a secure academic basis.
- Both a study in philology and a history of ideas, The American Language continued in the tradition of Webster and Whitman to defend American English against its detractors.