In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1filósofo masculinefilósofa femininethe philosopher's stone — la piedra filosofal
- The noun Dasein is used by other philosophers, by Kant for example, for the existence of any entity.
- Future generations may or may not judge Wittgenstein to be one of the great philosophers.
- I need to brace myself before I throw myself at the modern continental philosophers.
- German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer was one of history's great pessimists.
- Conferences of philosophers on determinism and freedom aren't the same as they used to be.
- So far as we know, Socrates was the first philosopher to make prominent the question of how to live well.
- Some philosophers will find implausible the claim that contextualism is the cure for relativism.
- Descartes, of course, was not the first philosopher to view the body with disdain.
- Zeno was a pupil and friend of the philosopher Parmenides and studied with him in Elea.
- As is the hallowed custom with philosophers, the thinking of all of them is by nature unhistorical.
- Plato has a claim to be the first philosopher to establish philosophy as a subject.
- So philosophers take the risk of nihilism and existential dread because the allure of wonder is too great.
- It seems to me that philosophers are often criticized for always demanding rational explanations.
- Spinoza the philosopher emerged in his true colours through the work of Schelling and Hegel.
- Do any of you know of any philosophers that seem to be more or less Buddhist in outlook?
- Some of them tried to replace religion by a secular morality that owed much to the German philosopher Kant.
- Some philosophers contend that death is a harm inasmuch as it thwarts a central desire: to stay alive.
- The philosopher Hannah Arendt concluded that evil lay in the refusal to think.
- The primary source is what scientists and philosophers have said about scientific method.
- Some philosophers say they do not know what the thesis of determinism is.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.