In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fobia feminineI have a phobia about snakes/flying — les tengo fobia a las serpientes/los aviones
- If the object of the fear is easy to avoid, people with phobias may not feel the need to seek treatment.
- Fears and phobias and creative blocks spring to my mind.
- It accounts for most of our fears, even our likes and dislikes, and phobias.
- As I grew up and began to delve into myself a little more, I learnt the truth behind fears - from phobias to totally rational terrors.
- And because those thoughts are at the forefront of our minds, we forget to act on the other fears and phobias that need release.
- No matter how big or brave some of us appear to be, we all have our secret fears; phobias which reduce us to babbling physical wrecks.
- As for society, it needs to confront its petty phobias, paranoid fears and recognize the self in the other.
- A phobia is an irrational, uncontrollable fear of a specific object or situation.
- Irrational fears and phobias, for example, are essentially habits of mind that we acquire, not feelings we were born with.
- At this time, the patient is open to suggestion, and can be desensitised towards fears, phobias, pain and personal issues.
- Apart from health problems, it makes children superstitious and exposes them to morbid fears and phobias.
- Benumbed fear often turns into panic, phobias, irrational prejudice, and violence.
- The child may develop school phobias, compulsive eating or psychosomatic illnesses.
- Jane is one of thousands in this country who suffer from a phobia or obsessive compulsive disorder.
- I am more stressed, more depressed and still suffer from various fears and phobias.
- Sharron developed several phobias including claustrophobia and a feeling of uncleanliness no matter how often she washed.
- She and I share a lot of the same fears and phobias.
- Do you treat social phobias the same way you treat the other phobias, like a fear of heights, for example?
- Certainly, an excessive capacity for fear leads to all sorts of problems that many people would dearly love to be free of, such as phobias and panic attacks.
- It is certainly possible to argue that neurotic symptoms, like phobias or obsessions, are strictly determined.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.